Friday, April 9, 2010

Suns disappoint,Pirates and Devils bow


Normally,we would go directly to the Pirates or Devils losses yesterday.
If they interest you,the Pirates loss can be found here and the Devils here.

Last night's home opener for the Hagerstown Suns was frankly the most disappointing night that I have ever spent at a baseball stadium.
For the first time in my life,I felt like a sucker for handing over my money to attend a game.
I have tried to be as fair as possible to the Suns over the last year or two and attempted to be as positive as possible to the team management,but the time for telling the truth has arrived.

The Suns meet the team party was a nice start,but it seems that the team has made several blunders over the off season.
First,the fiasco that was the opening of the gates can be laid at the feet of several people.
After a large rainstorm that caused the game to be delayed a half hour,astonishingly the Suns refused to open the gates at the scheduled 6;05 since the game was being delayed.
What this accomplished was making two sets of customers angry.
The hard core baseball fan and the thirsty Thursday fan that was coming for the cheap beer.
Potential sales waved goodbye as the patrons were forced to wait unnecessarily for the gates.
Even better was the fact that there was no official announcement about the switch,leaving fans to wonder what the hell was going on.
Nothing from anyone from the Suns front office or anything over the public address system.
The only acknowledgement from anyone associated with the team was Woolie B waving its arms (?) around.
Poor judgment on the Suns part and simply put-bad business.

Once entering the stadium,I realized the next poor decision-Hagerstown general admission had always been any seat other than the box seats and I had been told that the team was going to charge extra to set under the roofed grandstand,but the impression was given that only the center area was the higher charge.
Instead,the team had taken the entire grandstand and added an extra dollar for the right to sit under the roof instead of the rickety open aired versions.
In addition all seats are assigned there and I would guess there would be some difficulties in sitting where you wish,although I cannot say that is definite.
So now for General Admission (and what SHOULD be General Admission),the Hagerstown Suns are charging more and for the bad seats equal than the Frederick Keys for a higher class of baseball and a far nicer stadium.
Give me a break.

The ticket servers were still slow,but that is easily excusable as employees still aren't smooth with a new system,which often comes with issues,but the lack of a line for entering the Muni caused what appeared to be the equivalent of a dam breaking and water rushing through as the Suns had no organization,two turnstiles (the other was for the special season ticket holder entrance) open and not much else.
Had this crowd been either really angry or in a hurry,someone could have easily been injured...

The Hagerstown Suns are a passion of mine,I enjoy the games and the friends that both go with me and that I meet there,but from what I saw last night,I have extreme doubts about how things are going for the team.
It seems to me that this has become a quick buck organization that has not thought things through before implementing ideas and I would offer one small bit of advice to the Suns-It is never too late to correct a bad decision.

I feel that the Suns look at fans like me as a junkie and have taken me for granted.
Well,this junkie felt abused last night,but there is one positive thing-I could have renewed my season tickets......

Check Battlin' Bob's thoughts on the evening here.
The Battler is far more profane than I,but he sure isn't wrong...

No comments: