Thursday, September 30, 2010

Cleaning out the Inbox

Time for some more cleaning of the inbox as we discuss various notes that pile up for the periodic posts such as these.

Still no announcement of the 2011 Hagerstown Suns schedule as we are a matter of hours from October.
This never seems to miss as the most delayed announcement of the year..

The Pirates clinched the top pick in next years draft on Tuesday.
The Bucs have lost 101 games,but will be able to add another (we hope) impact player to the system.
The early leader for the pick looks like Rice third baseman Anthony Rendon,although Rendon's recent broken ankle will certainly be worth keeping an eye on.


Our friend Wooden takes a look at his trip this year to the Appalachian League at his world of baseball blog.The Appy league is an appealing one for the autograph crowd between the assortment of teams that arent in the SAL or Carolina leagues and the lack of competition for signatures.
Considering a Appy run for our trip next year for sure.

I know I am well behind on things,but I still need to post on Day two of our trip this year to Cleveland and Lake County.
It is on the list,I promise.

ESPN.com's Page two segment has two interesting items on tap.
The infamous 1971 "Gator Flop" looks at that and the game between Florida and Miami.


The other looks at the "Superteams" tug of war between the Steelers and Vikings.
Superteams was an offshoot of the Superstars series in the seventies.
Considering the wages paid today and possible injury,I bet you will never see stuff like this again!

ESPN's Jaime Diaz also writes about Jack Nicklaus at 70 and how Tiger Woods and his issues have brought greater appreciation to the Golden Bear.
Nicklaus should have been held above Woods to begin with and not just on his marital woes either as we wrote over two years ago.....

Finally,Jason Christensen sends us this note on his encounter with Hall of Famer Bruce Sutter.
"Bruce Sutter works for the Phillies now. I saw him in Syracuse last Sunday, he came over and signed. I had a 1981 Topps card when he played for the Cubs he signed I told him thank you and this is what he said to me "I don't mind signing but don't throw eight items in my face and double dip me. I will sign one for everybody." I thought that was cool because one I am surprised he signed and two he took the time to come over to sign making sure everybody got one. He was better than the Lehigh Valley players!"

No comments: