Friday, May 25, 2012

Chipping from the bunker

A quick word of thanks to those of that offered anniversary wishes to Cherie and I through Facebook,email etc.
It has been a good 25 years and pretty fast as well,I hope to make to number 50 to double the total..

I have not had a ton of snippets in the inbox,which tends to ebb and flow,so I thought I would use this for a few thoughts on things that did not make it to the inbox.

This weekend features the Salem Red Sox in Frederick against Dylan Bundy in his Carolina League debut for the Keys.
Big question for me is how many tickets are available with Bundy along with an appearance from "Milkshake".
Who or what is Milkshake? Well,they have been described to me as a "Kids rock band".
The concert will be before the game,so this could be the type of deal where the Keys sell lots of tickets to fans of Milkshake,those people leave the stadium,the seats are sold so people wanting to see the game might not be able to get tickets and the stadium is half empty by game time.
My all time favorite of this was the (corporate name here) bowl in Fresno California where the stadium was sold out for the game so kids could see Destiny's Child at halftime.
By the time that the second half kicked off,you could have shot deer in the stands and not hit anyone....

Yes,I am excited about the possibility that the Devils could win the Eastern Conference tonight against the rival Rangers,but I am not convinced that the series is over by any means.
I would even go as far to say that the sixth game in Newark is the must win.
I just think defeating the Rangers three times at Madison Square Garden in a series is a tough road to travel and a loss tonight will put the Devils in just that scenario. 

This weekend also showcases one of the two non-major golf tournaments that I always try to see.
I always love to watch the four majors,but I would not say that I always see every tournament each week.
However,I always try to watch Jack Nicklaus' tournament-the Memorial (which will take place next week in Columbus,Ohio) and the other is this weeks Colonial Invitational in Fort Worth Texas.
The Memorial always draws a world class field,while the Colonial has some stars and others take the week off,but from the Ben Hogan statue to the Wall of Champions,the Colonial creates an atmosphere that the mid-level tournament will usually struggle to match...

I might be doing a little freelance work for my friend Brandon Siefken's new website on Japanese Baseball.
Not sure what I will be writing about,but I am sure that it will likely focus on American players crossing the ocean.
I will be adding them to the links page,when the site is officially up and running.
Adding that to the occasional work for another friend at Luke Erickson's Nationals Prospects should keep me typing...

Conococheague Elementary turned 50 years old this year and despite the love for the school from its community,it looks like it will be consolidated in a few years.
Conococheague was special to me as a young basketball player as one of the two places where the best players in the area played.
I played against the best the area had to offer including the all time leading scorer at N.C.State in Rodney Monroe.
Only one problem,I was not one of the best players in the area....

Photo Credit:David Cannon:Getty Images






No comments: