Sunday, May 20, 2012

Imagine No McCutchen

Andrew McCutchen blasted a pair of two run homers (6 and 7) to account for all of the Pittsburgh runs as the Pirates bounced back from the anemic offensive performance against Justin Verlander with a 4-3 win over the Detroit Tigers in Detroit.
A.J. Burnett evened his record at 2-2 with six innings that saw allow two of the three Tigers runs.
Joel Hanrahan picked up his ninth save with a scoreless ninth inning.
The series concludes Sunday with Kevin Correia for Pittsburgh against the Tigers Max Scherzer...

Pirate Hooks

1) I missed the Verlander one hitter as I was in Altoona PA,but apparently I missed little other than a Josh Harrison hit....

2) The win could have been much easier without a borderline call on a Prince Fielder chopper that looked to be fair and would have resulted in an easy out.
Instead it was called foul and a few pitches later Fielder ripped a two run homer...

3) A.J. Burnett's ERA after this one was 4.78.
Nothing special right?
Now imagine the ERA without the 12 earned runs allowed in his start against the Cardinals.
Burnett has been pretty good minus that start....

4) The Pirates struck out 12 times in the win.
That's 12 as in after 11.
In case you didn't know-That is too !@#$ing high as Marshall Lucky would say in Used Cars..


5) I don't watch a ton of American League baseball,so it isn't often that I see some of the parks in the junior circuit.
When I do, I try to get a feeling for the park and Comerica Park did not do much for me visually.
The park that I thought of looking at it was New Comiskey in Chicago.
That is not a compliment.

6) More worries on the possible draft selection of Deven Marrero.
I have read reports on attitude issues and not hustling.
This feels worse and worse to me...

7) Running out of superlatives for Andrew McCutchen.
Just look at the team stats and tell me this teams record without Cutch.
Looks like the extension is going to be a bargain at this rate....

8) The teams wore Negro League uniforms in the annual tribute.
I thought Pittsburgh were cool enough,but the Detroit were kinda silly looking...

Photo Credit:AP Photo

No comments: