Saturday, June 8, 2013

Nicole Mitchell Interview-Part 3

We continue our chat with former Weather Channel anchor Nicole Mitchell with part three and the beginnings of her career at TWC.
Thanks again to the Major for her time.

TRS: Moving on to your career at the Weather Channel,how did you receive the opportunity to move to what is considered the big leagues of televised weather?Did you contact them or vice versa?

NM: One of their managers spoke to me at a weather conference and got me thinking about it, then I reached out to them a year or two later when I was job hunting.

TRS: My job entails watching lots of TV and I discovered you on the morning show "Your Weather Today" as the travel analyst,did you find that title demeaning or just a title?

NM: I was fine with the title, although it didn’t begin to cover everything I was doing on the show (like my hurricane coverage, etc.)!

TRS: On Your Weather Today,that show was the flagship program for the station,what was it like being an integral part of the most important show for the network?

NM: I was really honored to have the opportunity, and especially to get such a big promotion after only being with TWC for a couple months.

TRS: What were your relationships with co hosts Marshal Seese and Heather Tesch? Did things go well and were you friendly away from the set?

NM: We had a lot of fun, and yes, sometimes socialized outside of work. I actually just had lunch with Marshall a couple months ago.

TRS: As much as I enjoyed your work on YWT, I loved the pairing of you and Paul Goodloe on the overnight shift even more,as our readers know that is when I am at work.
The chemistry that you had together created a fun atmosphere that I thought made the overnight crew and the viewers a type of niche' group that has not been on the network before or since.
What are your thoughts on Paul Goodloe and that program on late night?

NM: Paul and I hit it off right off the bat, and we had a great time working together.

TRS:  One thing that has stood was the night you danced behind the screen as Paul talked.I'm sure that was improv,but what made you do that and Paul's deadpan response is what made it as well.What are your memories on that night?

NM: We tried to keep it fun, especially on Friday nights. We always thought they should have filmed our commercial breaks, because we always kept each other laughing.



TRS: One thing that changed was the change from the newsroom type studio mostly sitting down to the High Definition studio with lots of walking and standing,Which did you prefer and why?

NM: Both had advantages and disadvantages. I think the movement helps with energy, but it means you are away from computers more in times when you need to look up weather updates.

More on Nicole at TWC in upcoming part four....


Photo Credit;Nicole Mitchell

No comments: