Friday, June 7, 2013

Pirates select Austin Meadows and Reese McGuire

Most of the mock drafts had the Pittsburgh Pirates going the same way-taking high school catcher Reese McGuire even if highly touted high school outfielder Austin Meadows was available.
  Meadows was one of two top players from the same town in Georgia (with Clint Frazier) to be considered a top ten (and to some a top five) talent and I was hoping to see one of them become a Pirate.
When the Indians picked Frazier,that left Meadows as a possibility and when only the Kansas City Royals stood between the Pirates and their pick,I posted on Facebook this- "If the Pirates aren't going to take Austin Meadows,I'd rather the Royals just take him now. Saves me getting angry...".
When the Royals selected another player,I was all ready to see McGuire as the pick.
Not that I disliked McGuire,I just preferred Meadows and if landing Meadows meant McGuire might not be available at 14,I was fine with that.

The Pirates selected Meadows and I erupted in approval as value ruled the day as the Pirates took the best player on the board and will be the better for it.
Austin Meadows may not have the power that Clint Frazier has,but Meadows should hit for average and should be a 20 homer player in the big leagues.
Meadows will begin his pro career in center,but might eventually be moved to left or right,considering the long term presence of Andrew McCutchen and Starling Marte.
When you land a top five talent that slid down the boards without a significant reason at the ninth pick,one has to be pleased and trust me-I am.



With the Pirates picking again at 14,I did not expect Reese McGuire to still be available and yet he was.
It took the Pirates little time to jump on the Washington catcher and to seemingly walk away with two top notch yet very signable products.

 McGuire has all the defensive tools as his defense and arm are rated at the top of the draft.
His bat varies according to whom you listen to,but at worst he is not going to be an Eli Whiteside type.
If McGuire reaches his top hitting potential,he could be an All-Star level backstop,but even if not,he still should be an average starting catcher.

The Pirates now suddenly are loaded with catchers in the system between Tony Sanchez suddenly hitting his stride at AAA Indianapolis and last years picks Jacob Stallings at High A Bradenton and Wyatt Mathesen at Low A West Virginia,there could be a dam built at the position.
These things usually have a way of working themselves out,so I am not too concerned,but I will say this-I think the Pirates did very well last night...

No comments: