Sunday, June 2, 2013

Time to dig in or give up?

Been away,just had little to say,but today's leak of the Hagerstown Suns making unofficial steps towards a move to Fredericksburg VA changed that.

Look,I don't blame Bruce Quinn-he is what he is-a fellow that likes to make money.
Money that he cannot make in Municipal Stadium and money that he thinks can be made elsewhere.
I disagree with anyone's thoughts that Fredericksburg,Virginia is a viable market (despite it being larger than Hagerstown),but more on that later.

I do blame the citizens of the city though.
They are the people that blew up a tentative deal by voting out the mayor and three council members,replacing each with less than enthusiastic members towards a stadium.
I also blame the council itself with two members that have little to zero interest in voting for a stadium and a third that only recently has begun to waver in stadium interest.
I do not by any means miss the grandstanding Ashley Haywood,but compared to the lost in the 50's again attitude of Penny Nigh and the typical city pol Kristin Aleshire,Haywood's routine looks better.

I don't even blame Fredericksburg.
They want baseball.although reading their paper,they don't exactly have widespread public support either.
Considering their proximity to Washington and the Potomac Nationals,they could have the move blocked and if allowed,someone (likely Quinn) is going to have to pay for the territory pass.
I still don't think that baseball will fly there long term.
You have a major league team next door and a Carolina league team 35 miles away,considering that and the amount of other things to do,I would not think this is a great long term investment.
Then again,it is not my money or my team either.

SO,things once again look gloomy for future baseball in Hagerstown.
There have been too many missteps to count and somehow I have a feeling that I'll be recounting them down the road sometime,but I still have hope and I'm not ready to give up yet?
Why? Because I've seen this dance before in a little city named Winchester.
Bruce Quinn has seen this drag out because he lost leverage with no other suitors and suddenly now he has one.
I make no claims to say Quinn prefers one town to the other,although with all the hassles from Hagerstown,I think if it is close,Hagerstown loses,but that's just a guess.
However,as we have seen here locally,raising money to build in these times is always tricky and Fredericksburg politicians might fall prey to public pressure as well.

Hagerstown council member Lew Metzner says the council will know by the end of the month whether they will make an offer for a new facility,that could be too late,but it could also be just what Bruce Quinn is looking for-competition.

It does not look good,but I'm digging in-not giving up......


 

No comments: