Saturday, May 17, 2014

A night with Big Don and Mike

A few brief notes on our biggest fan's trip to Hagerstown,its decrepit stadium and some things about us...

Big Don and his pal Mike make a visit here every year and this year's trip saw them visit a few cities with Hagerstown among them.
Big Don wasn't in the greatest of moods early,but the amenities of the Muni turned that frown upside down.
Well,not really being that it doesn't have any,but the company might have helped being that the lovely Cherie showed up.

Big Don always makes me laugh and despite some cranky old guy (at 45,I say 62+ qualifies as "old guy") a few rows down that apparently thinks that sports talk (albeit sometimes loud with Derreck nearby) at a ballpark isn't worth doing,I had a great time.
As someone easily annoyed,I could have agreed with this guy had this been at a big league park where ushers never let you move,but at a 1/8th filled Muni,he could have moved anywhere he wanted,so "wah".
The Muni was its typical self as the Suns grabbed game one of the twin bill against Lakewood in winning what seemed to be their thousandth game in a row vs Lakewood before the Blue Claws snapped the losing streak by winning game two.

Big Don often likes to talk about the blog and I don't often talk about things here,so that was enjoyable.
Most of my friends know about what I write about here and some even read from time to time if something catches their eye,but for the most part,it's Big Don that reads what we write.
Don takes the time to read,give me feedback and few things make me feel good about what I do here than an email from Don telling me that he liked something or related something to his life.

Anyway,I talked to Don about the blog and gave him some business cards from Rachel's Christmas gift and told him how frustrated I get sometimes with the blog.
Allow me to explain,the main frustration is my lack of promotional skills to get us more widely read.
Don replied "I know,I can sense that at times in your writing".
In a odd way,it made me feel good that A) Someone reads enough to care about the blog and B) that my writing reflects my moods well.
It made me look at things this evening and think about things.
Nothing changed or anything,just think.
That never hurts,does it?

Despite one of my least favorite graphers making an appearance,having to leave to go to work instead of having fun doing postgame and cranky guy,I had a good time seeing Don and Mike and I was able to look at things here.
Not a bad night.

A few words on the Hagerstown Suns before I leave for the day.
The Suns are terrific on the field having a record of 31-9 of this writing,have one of the games top prospects in Lucas Giolito and have the luxury of having the highest foul ball possibility to fan ratio in the game.
They also inflate attendance,which is really bad because the inflated numbers are really low and have perhaps the barest bones staff that you would ever see in professional baseball.
Having said that-I am having the most fun that I've ever had going to Suns games.
Other than the occasional pain in the graph,the few fans leave the hardcores as the attendees,so usually you can kick back and talk about whatever you like (other than cranky guy last number),the low number of employees keep the on field microphone foolishness to a minimum (so does the lack of people wanting to participate) and basically have an old school baseball experience.

In other words,I highly recommend hitting the Muni and going back in time.
But,not too many of you,you just might ruin it.....


No comments: