Thursday, May 8, 2014

Sleepers of interest

With the draft hours away, I thought I would add a few sleepers to keep an eye on over the weekend as we see where players wind up in new locations.

I'll offer a player at each position that I like that may not be selected in tonight's first-round but could go in either of the following two days.

At quarterback, I like Georgia's, Aaron Murray.
Murray might have been a first-rounder had he not injured his knee.
Murray has a stronger arm than you think for a six-footer and is very accurate in the pocket.
Murray might fit either the Browns or the Saints on day two or early on day three.

At running back, I like a late rounder better than many that will go ahead of him in Florida State's James Wilder. Jr.
Wilder is a punishing, hard-nosed runner that has had off-the-field issues, but at a minimum will be an awesome short-yardage back.
Some hold against Wilder that he was part of a three-back rotation at FSU,I don't-I think it lessened the wear on a talented back and will leave more for the NFL.

The wide receiver that I like should go on day two as I love Vanderbilt's, Jordan Matthews.
Matthews can break tackles, yet has the speed to go by corners.
Matthews set the SEC record for catches and yards in a career playing for a team where he always drew the top corner.

The tight-end sleeper in my opinion may not even be drafted.
Alex Bayer of Bowling Green is a strong blocker and catches the ball well too.
Bayer isn't a deep threat but could be a nice possession chaining mover as a pass-catcher.
Bayer also can deep snap and that might help him get drafted on day three.

I liked what I saw at the East-West Shrine of Bloomsburg tackle Matt Feiler.
Feiler played guard and tackle at Bloomsburg and with the level of competition there, Feiler may be a project, but I liked what I saw out of a player that isn't well known...

On the defensive line, I am high on Texas defensive end Jackson Jeffcoat.
The son of former Cowboy Jim Jeffcoat is a bit angular, but with some help in the weight room, could be a starter for a long time in the league.

At linebacker-it's easy- Wisconsin's Chris Borland.
Borland isn't the strongest or fastest, but he reminds me of Zach Thomas as in he just finds the ball carrier and takes him down.
Plug Borland in and watch him roll up tackles for years.
I would love to see Borland as a Brown in rounds 3 or 4.

Cornerback is deep and I really liked what saw of Rice's Phillip Gaines.
In the East/West game, Gaines played back with the no press coverage rule, but he is fast and he hits.
Really think someone with foresight can nap a talented player in Gaines.

At Safety, I'm a big fan of Dontae Johnson of N.C. State.
Johnson is big (6'2 200 lbs), carries a wallop (played some linebacker with the Wolfpack) and at worst will be a nice special teamer.

Other players that I am keeping an eye on for non-football reasons are DE/TE Larry Webster of Bloomsburg (formerly of Hagerstown) and Ashland DT Jamie Meder.

I'll be back with a look at the Brown picks tonight and likely the Saints as well...

No comments: