Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Cleaning out the inbox

We have to make time to clean the inbox before it gets too unwieldly,so we'll use today to take the time...

Grantland takes a different spin on Japanese baseball and their scouting process as in how they decide what Americans to sign.
It's a great take on how the Yokohama Bay Stars evaluate American talent and how they decide what "Gaijin" to bring over to Japan and how they might adjust to the Japanese game..
Highly recommended...

Another Grantland feature looks at former Wake Forest and Dallas Maverick standout Josh Howard and his attempt to get back into the league via the D league.
Howard may have had his issues off the floor,but I always liked his game and was one of my favorite players to watch of his time.
Howard is 34 and his injury history will make it unlikely to have a successful comeback,but I'll still be rooting for him...

My friend Luke Erickson sent me an article from a website that I have never heard (Jacobin) and an author in Dan O'Sullivan who's work I was unfamiliar with as well.
I am so glad that Luke sent it to me as "the story of Pro Wrestling is the story of American Capitalism" was one of the best reads that I have seen in quite a while.
The article deals with the parallels of greed and money in the wrestling business through the last century and might be the best researched article on the business that I have read in years.
Usually the press makes tons of factual errors in dealing with wrestling and this one didn't.
I highly suggest both wrestling and non-wrestling fans read this for a better understanding of the business.....

Steven Goldman writes about the late Robin Williams and his long time wish to have Williams star as Casey Stengel in a film based on Goldman's book on Stengel.
Williams was a long time Giants fan and was a great lover of the game,yet never did a baseball movie,but did do Best of Times,an underrated football movie...

We wrap up with the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Company) and their release of long time sportscasters Steve Armitage and Mark Lee.
Both are well known in Canada for their hockey coverage,but I always like both men's coverage of CFL football and I bet both catch on with Rogers Sportnet or TSN shortly or maybe even coverage of a local hockey contract with a team...

Editor's Note: A late squeeze-in of a National Geographic history of the Voyager progam.
If you have any interest in NASA,space,etc and have a few minutes,take a look!

No comments: