Saturday, August 23, 2014

Return of the Top Five!

It's a slow night and since I used the last three ideas that were given to me for slow nights.
I figured this was a nice time to list the top five cards that I'd like to own,but don't.
These may not be the most expensive card of a player,but it is the one that I'd like to own the most.
I also kept the list to one card of a particular player in order to diversify.
Also keep in mind that since I completed the 1971 set,that took a lot of cool cards off the table too!
This is also just my baseball list,I could have future lists for football,basketball and hockey.....

1) 1962 Sandy Koufax
The 1962 set is not my favorite set of the 1960's,that honor goes to 1965,which might be my really long term project that might last me until the day that I shuffle off to the stadium above or below,but the 1962 Koufax is my favorite card of mainstream Koufax's.
Crisp,clean and sharp,1962 is clearly my favorite Koufax card!

2) 1965 Steve Carlton
One of my favorite pitchers of my youth ( I favored lefties despite being a righthanded thrower),Carlton doesn't have this card to himself as he shares it with the immortal Fritz Ackley and his Cardinals cap is airbrushed awkwardly in the typical Topps airbrush job,but it is the rookie and as noted,my favorite set of the 1960's.

3) 1965 Richie Allen
Allen was another long time favorite,who went through a succession of boring cards from 1969-1972 with the exception of the 71.
In fact all of those cards feature Allen in profile and all look like they were taken at the same photo session.
Since I have the cool 70's cards of Allen,the 1965 gets the nod over the 1964 rookie that Allen shares with another "rookie star".

4) 1972 Roberto Clemente
A card that I would think that I should have,but I don't.
The 1972 Clemente is a card that must have fallen through the cracks and wouldn't cost me a mint to land.
The Peter Max 1972 design has grown on me through the years and the Clemente shot of him juggling a baseball is a neat touch as well.

5) 1952 Red Man Bobby Thomson
I actually have this card,but it is so beaten and dilapidated that I could use an improved card.
I think I've told the story of this card before,if not,let me know and I'll tell it sometime.
The best card of Thomson as a Giant and the first card to mention the Shot Heard Round the World.

I'll do another one of these for football sometime soon!

No comments: