Thursday, September 17, 2015

Fun with the Solheim Cup

The Solheim Cup starts in a few hours from Germany and I'm sure I'll be watching a lot of it.

Just what is the Solheim Cup?
It is the ladies golf version of the Ryder Cup and in many ways,more fun.
The Cup is currently in the hands of team Europe,which has won the last two cups and this years is being held in Germany.

I like team golf,especially when it is held every two years.
The infrequency of the event makes it special and the two teams are generally pretty equal.

It's also fun to watch the patriotic aspect of things,particularly on the American side with the uniforms,colors etc.
Sometimes these things can be overdone,but the tournament directors do an excellent job of getting this right.

What I really like most though is the various games of golf that come into play in the Solheim Cup,which again is most similar to the Ryder Cup.
28 matches comprise the tournament with two members of each team playing in alternate shot (I really enjoy watching this) using a ball for each team in eight matches, each team using two players in foursomes which has four balls in play and each team uses its lower score for its score in eight matches and then 12 singles matches on the final day.
Each match is worth one point and in the event of a overall tie,the team that holds the cup retains it...

Even though Jessica Korda (my favorite player) didn't make this years team,I'll still pay close attention to the cup because I love the format.
Since the Cup is in Germany it's early in the morning,so I'll be watching on-line from the road office.
I'm sure the time will work against you people that work normal hours,but if you happen to be up,flip over to the Golf Channel and give the Solheim Cup a try.
You just might get caught up in it!


No comments: