Monday, October 16, 2017

Only Misery for Browns deep in the Heart of Texas

Looking at the final score in the Cleveland Browns loss to the Houston Texans, the Browns defeat looks like just another one of many.
33-17 doesn't appear to be that awful as the Browns have been beaten worse by lesser teams than the Texans.
That would be wrong, as it took a pick-six by Jason McCourty and late garbage time score on a Kevin Hogan to Seth DeValve to salvage any type of decency in the deficit.

Considering the circumstances involved, fans of the team may look back at this as being the day that some or even all of the Sashi Brown, Hue Jackson, Paul DePodesta new wave thinking group were overcome by a wave of their own making.
More about this below, but for next week the now 0-6 Browns go back home against Jimmy Haslam's "real" favorite team- the Tennessee Titans.

Brownie Bits

1) I'll start with this- I was as down yesterday as I've ever been with football.
It wasn't that I was tired after work or my fantasy team sinking to all-time lows or even a Browns loss.
It was just depressing to think that this team is ruining pro football for me.
I pay for Sunday Ticket to watch the Browns, which makes me either a sucker or an idiot, but I digress, and I usually pick a 4;00 late game to watch.
Usually, this is some combination of the Rams, Chargers or Raiders because I like watching the games that few are watching, but not on this day.
I turned the channel and didn't look back.
I watched John Oliver on HBO (HBO is free here for a while), then I watched some CNN, my buddy Mike Oravec called as we talked baseball cards as I put cards away and watched some YouTube videos as some guy went looking for old coins with a metal detector in a creek somewhere.
And it was wonderful.
I had a GOOD time with the lovely Cherie, not a sickening one.
Could this be the beginning of the end with sports?
I doubt it, I love the analysis too much, but on this day- Cherie and Posey (Rachel was mostly upstairs) took a bad sports day off my mind and it was occupying enough to ride the wave to bed.

2) The Kevin Hogan experiment should be over after a one touchdown, three-interception performance that inept didn't define enough.
Hogan overthrew receivers and looked downright Seneca Wallaceesque as he hummed numerous (at least four, maybe more) footballs deep into the heart of the sideline.
His pick six to Jonathan Joseph was so bad that it would have been picked off by a high school player and Joseph laid the trap in wait that on TV, you had enough time to say "NO!!!'
I like Hogan, but he was overmatched on this day with this bunch.

3) That's not to place ALL of this on Hogan.
He was sacked four times and harassed all day.
The supposed line that was going to be one of the best in the game hasn't been anywhere near that.
Now, I'm not going to lay that at the feet of the talent evaluators.
Kevin Zeigler and J.T. Tretter were wanted by all teams and both have disappointed, especially Tretter up the middle.
I won't even dig deep for Shon Coleman, who gets worse by the week...

4) On to the opposing quarterback as DeShaun Watson did whatever he wanted other than the interception by Jason McCourty.
Watson showed just what the Browns were missing when they traded down with the Texans and allowed them to take Watson.
Full disclosure- I was not in favor of taking DeShaun Watson with the first pick in the draft, but I would have been more than fine with the Browns taking him at 12 and not trading down.
Watson's been great so far, but I'm willing to say that with the receivers in Cleveland, Watson would not be looking nearly as good.

5) Oh, those Browns receivers.
Kasen Williams led the team with four catches for a whopping 41 yards and no one else seemed to be open very often.
Playmakers? This just doesn't have them other than maybe Duke Johnson, who would be a situational running back on another team.

6) Speaking of the Duke, Johnson carried five times for forty yards and caught three passes for less than one yard.
If Johnson is the only playmaker on this team- eight touches simply are not enough for the Browns to be competitive.

7) Cleveland does look like they have such a playmaker on defense in top overall pick Myles Garrett.
Garrett had one sack of DeShaun Watson and his hit on Watson was the cause of the interception that Watson threw to Jason McCourty.
Garrett's three sacks in parts of just two games currently leads the Browns in sacks.

8) Myles Garrett is a quarterback attacking nightmare and along with the aging, Joe Thomas are the two elite talents on this team that can play on any team.
Garrett also is the only player that the Sashi bunch stayed in place to select.
Funny how that works out, isn't it?

9) And it's time for our weekly Jabrill Peppers bad angle and pursuit for a touchdown as Peppers missed his responsibility and was left in the dust by Will Fuller for a Texans score.
Six games is a small size on a player good or bad but off that sample- I was right on Peppers.

10) Kevin Hogan played badly, but Hue Jackson's lack of adjusting his offensive play calls to take the best advantage of Hogan's skills had its share of blame too.
I know Jackson loves those downfield throws, but that offense does not allow this offensive group to play to their strengths- isn't that part of coaching??

11) Finally, rumors are flying that the Browns are looking into someone to run personnel either with the current group or instead of.
All in favor- say aye  AYE!!!!!

No comments: