Sunday, November 8, 2009

On the signing front-Catching up


For your autograph readers out there,here is some more catching up as I am on vacation.

We last left off with the Augusta Greenjackets in town.
The Greenjackets are the SAL affiliate of the Giants,who I have taken more of an interest in the last season.
Pitching coach Steve Kline was one of the nicest guys that I have met as he chatted about his time with the Indians and some less than flattering comments about his time in Baltimore.
Kline signed everything that everyone had and I couldn't say more positive things than I can about Steve Kline.
Notable prospects added were former number one pick Wendell Fairley,shortstop Ehire Adrianza and pitchers Ryan Verdugo (who might have been the hardest thrower I saw this season) and Eric Surkamp along with outfielder Francisco Peguero,who impressed despite having little publicity going into the series.

I had very little for the Lakewood Blue Claws as their set was out earlier in the season,but I did have a lot for catcher Travis D'Arnaud for myself and others and D'arnaud didn't like to sign before the game,but was very accommodating afterwards.
Just a note for Phillies fans.

The Delmarva Shorebirds were next in town and I was finally able to get Shorebird hitting coach Ryan Minor on one of his Oklahoma basketball cards.
I had wanted Minor on one of those for a while and was finally able to find one.Minor was excellent as usual.
Prospects LJ Hoes had been less than great on his first visits,but was terrific on this one.Xavier Avery was good on the first few,but not so good this time.
Maybe it was the end of a long season and sometimes everything isn't always clicking.
Most of the other top Shorebird prospects had been promoted,so that really summed up their trip.

The final team in was the Lake County Captains in their final series as members of the South Atlantic League before their move to the Midwest League.
The Captains are always one of the first teams to release their team set,so most of their stuff was from other team sets,such as Bo Greenwell,son of former Red Sox Mike Greenwell signing his Mahoning Valley and Trey Haley signing a Razor card.
The best part of the series was teasing with Captains skipper (nautical pun intended) Aaron Holbert on how much he would miss the Muni.
Holbert joked that a future condition of his employment would be that he would refuse to manage a team that visited Hagerstown!
Great sense of humor.

Finally,a few more kudos to my helpers.
Jason Christensen helped me clean up on my Altoona Curve set and Jason,with the news of the Pirates heading South with the High A team set,that help may get larger!
Tom O'brien helped me with a few players in Bowie that I hadn't gotten in Frederick and some huge help with the Akron Aeros.
Tom was able to nab me my first and only Lonnie Chisenhall of the season along with Eric Berger's Carolina League All Star card.
Berger was very nice in his visit to Frederick,but I got that card after that series.
Tom also got former slugger Boog Powell on two cards as well.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention my unnamed friend for all his help in Frederick with various cards that I missed through the season.
His help is as always appreciated!!!!

No comments: