Sunday, November 3, 2013

A little of this,a little of that

Just a few notes from the files since I am motivated.

Full disclosure,I went to bed after a long night of work on Saturday and skipped the Ohio State game.
I taped of course,but figured rest was more important than either a blowout or a Purdue surprise that would only make me angry.
The lovely Cherie was proud of me for putting rest first for a change!
Anyway ,I doubt that I will bother with a recap of a 56-0 game.

Another KO win for Gennady Golovkin,who bludgeoned Curtis Stevens in submission after eight rounds to retain his WBA middleweight title.Golovkin asked for Sergio Martinez,the WBC and lineal champion,but will be unlikely to get him anytime soon...

The New Orleans Saints are starting a ring of honor and starting with three players.
Archie Manning along with Hall of Famers Rickey Jackson and Willie Roaf are the first season inductees.
I like the small classes for things like this as when teams put in too many players too fast,the program drops in a few years as the quality players are unavailable and marginal ones are the choices resulting in lukewarm classes and reduced fan interest..

The Eastern League's Akron franchise was bought last season and new owner Ken Babby promised changes.
He delivered with a name change and new colors as the Aeros are now the Rubber Ducks.
Rubber being a nod to the local area of Akron as Akron is or at least was the "Rubber capital of the world".
I didn't like it at first,but it is starting to grow on me.
Still,I just might get myself an old Aeros hat while they dump Aeros merchandise ...
Most of these name the team contests are just window dressing anyway,if they are running a contest-the name is getting changed.
The Rubber Ducks will be keeping mascot Orbit around to join the new mascot in a smart move as the team mentioned that many fans mentioned keeping Orbit even if a new name was picked.
So,Derreck and I would be able to get Orbit,if we ever get to Akron for our "pictures with mascots" collection...

Something new will be coming to the blog in a recurring feature soon.
My new friend Tricia gave me the idea and look for it to be coming soon and be used in a similar fashion as we use Forgotten Superstars,which is always so well received...

I also wanted to add my recent non-sports additions to the signing front.
As soon as I buy more pages and binders,we will be back with more from the minor league season!
Football
Former Redskins tackle Joe Jacoby (Thanks to Kendall Morris)
Former Jets running back Bruce Harper
Former Jets and Broncos quarterback Matt Robinson
Former CFL star quarterback Damon Allen
Browns linebacker Barkevious Mingo (EBAY)
Saints safety Kenny Vaccaro (EBAY)
Al-Jazerra meteorologist Nicole Mitchell (two blank cards)
Fox News meteorologist Janice Dean 8 x 10

Finally,just wanted to thank some of you for the compliments on yesterday's post.
I use this in various manners and it is as much for me as for you.
David Mccullough once said "Write the books that you want to read" and that's how I do things with this.
Thanks to those that liked it and indulged me....

Photo Credit;Akron Rubber Ducks


No comments: