Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Fun with Teen Idols

It's a slow night so let's have a little fun and today the topic is teen idols, those easily made fun of,androgynous-looking "singers" (I use that term loosely) that appeal to the 18 (if they are lucky), usually 16 and under crowd that idolizes them before the kids' age and idol get kicked to the curb.

Most of these fellows are generally men that look more like boys, which explains much of their appeal and most are usually not overwhelmingly talented either.
Other than Rick Nelson, the original TV teen idol and maybe if you want to be generous, David Cassidy not many were moderate talents at best.
Most of the idols from my day in that age bracket did a lot of "cover tunes" and other than Nelson didn't do a lot of their own songs.

Many became idols through either television shows, where they get exposure every week to that demographic-David Cassidy with the Partridge Family is one example and/or through the ever-popular teen magazines.
Those things are still around to this day as I remember Rachel buying them for her generation's idols-the Jonas Brothers.

So without further ado, a few YouTubes of teen idols from my day with a special tip to Battlin' Bob, who does a mean impersonation of Leif Garrett, so I'm told, and one of these to the lovely Cherie for her version of the Jonas Brothers from her youth and another to my favorite Aunt Becky, who I included her favorite as well.
I may revisit this on another day with more of these "winners' from the past, so I have saved some of the "best" for down the road!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CGD27WgtKhI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 comment:

Ryan H. said...

I almost bought you a Bobby Sherman record last week for the laughs.

Maybe you can do a follow up feature on the 80s. Joe Plum can do the Samantha Fox feature.