Saturday, April 12, 2014

Goodbye Chico and 0-13

On a night that confirmed news that had been hinted at,the New Jersey Devils lost yet another shootout-this one to the New York Islanders at the Rock 3-2.
The loss was the 13th in the shootout this season and stretched the shootout loss streak to 17.
Both Devils goals came in the first period to Patrik Elias (18) and Ryan Carter (7),while Martin Brodeur finished with 28 saves in the defeat.
New Jersey finishes the season on Sunday against the Boston Bruins.

I'm going to skip Hell Raisers today being that the game was of little consequence in the standings and add a few scribblings on Glenn "Chico" Resch.
Chico has been the Devils color analyst for the last 18 seasons first with Doc Emrick and then Steve Cangelosi,which doesn't quite hold the entire term of Devils fandom of mine,but easily holds the time that I have been able to watch all of the Devils games.
So for me,Chico has been the consistent voice that I've heard when watching Devils hockey and that's going to change as Chico announced his retirement from the booth following Sunday's game against the Bruins during the first intermission.

There were a few hints that this was coming,if you knew what to look for,so I was not even mildly surprised.
I have a contact (don't be too impressed,it's very low level) in the organization that had told me that this was in the works and during the last few weeks of the season,Ken Daneyko had been making guest appearances in the booth doing the second period.
That was the hint that Chico was wrapping up with the Devils-Daneyko was getting experience doing color work when he never had before to prepare for next season.

Chico Resch was not the best announcer that I've ever heard.
He tended to be a homer and was usually soft on criticizing the Devils,both of which I understand.
I've never been critical of announcers that pulls for the home team on regional broadcasts,but I have major issues when a biased commentator does national games.
But much like a goofy uncle that screws things up,but is lovable to the end,Chico was entertaining behind the microphone.
Chico would stumble over words,mispronounce names and often lose his train of thought on a topic as he moved onto something else,but you often asked "what did he just say?" with a smile or a laugh.
The lovely Cherie,who is just becoming more of a Devils fan,finds Chico hilarious and Rachel still laughs at the day that Chico suddenly remarked "Parise just needs to lift his leg and let er' rip!".
Nothing like some presumed potty humor to make a kid (or me) to get started laughing!

I remember when the Prudential Center opened and during the intermission of a Devil home game,Chico would visit a different food stand for the segment "Chico Eats".
These were usually an oddball collection of pratfalls and face stuffing that ranged from corny to wacky!
I miss those segments.


Things will be different watching game next season,just as they were different when Steve Cangelosi stepped in for Doc Emrick.
I'm sure Ken Daneyko will do fine as he transitions to the booth and I'm also sure that Chico will do fine in retirement,although I hope that MSG (the Devils network) will find a part time place for him,if he wants it,but I do have one hope-that next season the team honors Chico Resch with his own night to say goodbye complete with gifts and speeches.
I think he deserves it.

Perhaps I'll be back later with more from a overflowing inbox....





No comments: