Sunday, April 27, 2014

Minors talk

Time for a few observations on what I've seen in the first month of the season as far as players that I've seen play.

Keep in mind that sometimes I don't get to actually SEE a lot of games from beginning to end,sometimes I can see most of a game before work and others are literally a hit and run,graphing a team and then going home.
This seems to happen most in Frederick as through the years,I usually see more complete games in Harrisburg than my future "hometown"team.
This is looking at play ONLY not about their signing habits.

Frankly,I have not been overwhelmed thus far.
In Frederick,the Keys and Carolina Mudcats might have combined for the least amount of prospects in a game.
Frederick is starting long faded prospect Michael Burgess for goodness sakes and Carolina? Well,there is a reason the Cleveland farm system is top heavy in prospects.
The only Mudcat that looks interesting is one that I didn't see pitch in lefty Ryan Merritt,who has won three of four starts and has posted a MLB the Show like ERA of 0.37 in 24 innings.
Numbers like those will see Merritt in Akron shortly,if he can even approach those numbers.
I excluded the most impressive Mudcat that I did see play as Dylan Baker threw six perfect innings at the Keys and then broke his ankle in workouts,ending his season.
It would have been very interesting to see Baker progress.
Frederick's Brandon Kline pitched well against Baker in getting a tough luck loss and stands out as the only Key that strikes me as a legitimate prospect that I've seen.

I did see one game from the Lynchburg Hillcats visit to Frederick.
I missed touted pitching prospect Lucas Sims on the mound and the Hillcats top playing prospect looks to be 19 year old Jose Peraza,who looked pretty smooth defensively and might be the Braves future at second base.
Peraza turns 20 in a few days and currently is hitting well over .300

I graphed the Myrtle Beach Pelicans,but was unable to stay to see them play.
That is unfortunate as the Pelicans might be as loaded as any team in the minors.
Joey Gallo,Nick Williams,Jorge Alfaro and Hanser Alberto are all legit prospects and I did see all of them play at Hickory last year.
Gallo has light tower power,but his issue was lack of contact in the SAL,but in a month at High A,Gallo has pounded nine homers but hitting .351 for the month of April strengthens Gallo's case even more.

For the Rome Braves,Johan Camargo has struggled at the plate in hitting under 200 and six errors in twenty games.but I really liked his athleticism and potential at shortstop.
Camargo is in bad need of development time,but despite his struggles-I liked what I saw.
Chuck Buchanan looked interesting as a lefty,but as a college pitcher and soon to be 24,he should look impressive at this level.

The Delmarva Shorebirds have the Orioles first round pick in pitcher Hunter Harvey,who has posted an excellent first four starts,but Harvey didn't start in Hagerstown,so I didn't see him.
Most of the Shorebirds didn't show me much other than maybe outfielder Josh Hart,who might have a future,if he can develop some power.

The Lakewood Blue Claws didn't have any impressive pitchers as the Suns pounded the Claws around the Muni in the series that included benches clearing and managers shouting at each other,but there were a few players to keep an eye on.
Outfielder Dylan Cozens shows impressive power,but will need better contact,Carlos Tocci is your typical Phillie prospect with physical skills and first round pick J.P.Crawford struggled in the field at shortstop and could wind up as an outfielder.
I did like Crawford's ability to put the ball in play,so my concerns are more about him playing the six spot.

I'll save the Hagerstown reviews for the first half review and I'll be doing a look at the Altoona Curve soon as well since I've seen them twice in two parks.
Back later with more.

No comments: