Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Cleaning out the inbox-Sports version

Now it's time to sift a few nuggets from the pan from the sports world to finish that inbox cleaning!

Since our last writing about the Browns,the team made the decision to waive Greg Little after the signings of Miles Austin and Earl Bennett.
I'm fine with that decision.
Greg Little has tremendous physical skills and despite his rockhanded play (at times ) as a Brown,I still think that he could be a productive player eventually.
It just won't be in Cleveland nor do I believe that it would have happened had the Browns kept him around.
Sometimes in sports,it takes new surroundings or the fact that for the first time ever in your athletic life,someone doesn't think you are good enough for the work ethic to kick in and that is when a player could turn things around.
Greg Little tweeted after the Raiders claimed him that he had circled the Browns game against the Raiders on the schedule and though I can understand why he is upset,I hope that he realized eventually that the Browns gave him chance after chance to catch the football and he just didn't do it consistently enough.
Little is just 24 and I wouldn't have been against keeping him around for another year,but it might have best for Little and the Browns for him to move on...

The Sporting News is ranking the various baseball teams local announcers and the Giants team of Duane Kuiper,Mike Krukow and Amy Gutierrez might win their contest.
I know they would win mine as they are the main reason (along with their time slot) that I began to root for the Giants.
Watching a Giants game is just fun with their crew and summer late nights (off work) are just better with Kuip,Kruk and Amy G.

Having met former Indians third baseman Buddy Bell last year and briefly again last week,it made me think of this article from Waiting for Next Year,a Cleveland oriented sports site covering Ohio teams.
It's a neat look at the 70's Indians,some of them which are forgotten and even a note on my favorite childhood player in Toby Harrah.
My favorite part is a story on umpiring that saw Bell and umpire Ron Luciano switch positions in a spring training game!
Great read.

That catches us up on the inbox.
I have a post in mind for next time that I hope you enjoy!

No comments: