Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Cleveland Browns-Persons of Interest

The Cleveland Browns rarely take the player I like most.
OK, since I have started doing this post-they have never taken the player that I've liked most, but they have taken players that I liked a lot.
This is a year that there are several players that I like a lot and yet there is one that I like above all-Clemson wide receiver Sammy Watkins.

Sammy Watkins has the type of tools that number one receivers needs and teams lust for and for all of the hullabaloo that the Browns need a quarterback (and they do), I am a believer that you take the best weapons and make what you have under center better.
I'm not anti-QB at 4,26 or at a trade up in between, but I would be very tremendously disappointed if Sammy Watkins was passed up.
I believe that he is that good.

However, there are several players that I would have little issues with at the 4th pick.
At quarterback, I love the tools of Central Florida's Blake Bortles and even though Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel has his issues with size and could be the biggest risk in the draft, I like his game, but not this early.
Jadeveon Clowney of South Carolina has all the tools that one sees in an impact defensive end and Buffalo's Khalil Mack reminds some (some) of Lawrence Taylor at outside linebacker.
I like Mack a lot, but one could make the argument that the Browns are already paying lots of money at that position.

I would rather not take a tackle with the 4th pick, but there are two that are worthy of the pick as far as talent-wise.
I really like Texas A&M's Jake Matthews as an all-around tackle that is agile and excellent in pass protection.
Auburn's Greg Robinson has better tools than Matthews and is more of a run-blocking masher.
I prefer Matthews of the two and still think the team has bigger needs with excellent players available elsewhere.

If the Browns took any of those players, I would say the team landed an excellent player.

At 26, the Browns could decide to go for a quarterback.
Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater was discussed as a top pick all year until an awful pro day and might be a steal if he falls here.
I like Fresno State's Derek Carr more than some, who hold him accountable for his older brother's failure behind an expansion offensive line.

There were also other quality wideouts available too at 26.
Texas A&M's Mike Evans will be off the board, but the rest might be there.
USC's Marquis Lee was ranked above all before an injury-plagued 2013 and LSU's Odell Beckham is highly thought of as well.
Brandon Cooks of Oregon State has moved up the charts, while Florida State's Kelvin Benjamin has great size at 6'5 240 pounds.
If the Browns want to wait until round two, I love Jordan Matthews of Vanderbilt and Allen Robinson of Penn State has the ideal size and tools.

If you asked me the Browns biggest position of need at the non-flashy positions, I would say it ranks between guard, inside linebacker, and cornerback.
The problem is that the guard and inside linebacker slots are not as deep as they have been in the past.

The best guard is Notre Dame's Zack Martin and he is the only consensus first-round guard available.
If Martin is gone, some like UCLA's Xavier Su'a-Filo as a later first, early second-rounder.

The inside linebackers are led by Alabama standout C.J. Mosley.
Mosley might fall here, but I doubt it as he is the only high-ranked player at this position in a weak class.
I love Wisconsin's Chris Borland, but think he might be a great fit in rounds three or four.

The corners are deep and if the Browns want to go in that direction, there should be a nice corner available at 26 or early in round two.
The opinions vary on who's the best, but there could be as many as five that have first-round chances.
My pick as the best would be Oklahoma State's Justin Gilbert, but I also like hard-nosed Darqueze Dennard of Michigan State.
TCU's Jason Verrett is a disciplined corner that has great ball skills but is only 5'9.
Kyle Fuller of Virginia Tech is tough in run support and Ohio State's Bradley Roby has everything that you want in a corner but will have to be coached to play within the system.
I saw all of Roby's tenure in Columbus and the sum of the parts was never more than the pieces.

I have things to do today, but I hope to be back later with some draft sleepers for the mid to late rounds...

No comments: