Monday, September 3, 2012

Gennady Golovkin

I only scanned the Ohio State win over Miami as I had to work that evening as well as squeeze in my final visit to Frederick for the season,so the normal recap is missing.
I'll be back next week for the Buckeyes,if not later this week with a review of the tape.

I am looking forward to September 15th's WBC Middleweight title bout as champions Julio Cesar Chavez Jr defends the title against the unjustly stripped former champion Sergio Martinez.
I almost even took the evening off work to buy the PPV,but finances after my recent vacation told a different story!
I consider myself a Martinez fan and I always rooted for Chavez Sr,so I also followed the career of Julio Jr,so the bout shaped up as a win/win scenario for me with not only the WBC version of the title,but the true title of best 160 pounder in the world.

The fight may decide the champion of the division,but as much I will consider the winner the titlist,after watching a bout on HBO-the winner might not be the best fighter in the division.
Gennady Golovkin of Kazakhstan might hold that honor after his impressive blasting of Poland's Grzegorz Proska in the United States debut for Golovkin.
It has been a long time that I have been so impressed by a world class fighter after seeing him for the first time and Golovkin's win not only put in him in front of the American media for the first time,but has started the drumbeat for the winner of the Chavez-Martinez bout to face him,but for new WBA and IBF champion Daniel Geale of Australia to fight Golovkin as well.
Geale recently stunned long reigning WBA champ Felix Sturm to unify the other two titles in the division via split decision,which is only stunning because Geale got the nod in Germany,where bad decisions abound in title fights involving champions based in Germany.

Golovkin showed crunching power to both the head and body of Proska,who tried gamely and showed talent of his own in the loss,but was unable to compete evenly with the talented Golovkin.
Golovkin fires punches in combinations and not the type of flashy punches that so many throw that show hand speed but lack pop,but the type that are tough to defend and deflate an opponent when those punches slam home.
Aggressive fighters often take shots in return but Golovkin did not appear to be deficient defensively and I believe is more than solid all around. 

The Proska bout was initially scheduled to be minor titlist Dmitri Pirog in a battle of the two most avoided middleweights,but Pirog injured his back in training and was unavailable.
Considering that Geale looks to take his IBF mandatory Sam Soliman next in what will be a lucrative bout in Australia between two countrymen,a Golovkin-Pirog bout might be next on the horizon and that fight would be definitely of interest to HBO and/or Showtime to put on their networks.
I look forward to seeing Gennady Golovkin's next fight and hope to see the opponent be of the highest possible caliber to test his abilities.
From what I saw Saturday night,I believe he will be more than up to the task against any of the fighters mentioned!

Photo Credit:Unknown

No comments: