Thursday, September 6, 2012

The end for Arthur B.Modell

Well,today it finally happened.
Arthur Modell passed away.
I have no joy in my heart today.
We go into the night sooner or later-all of us.
But in the end,I feel more sadness than I would have expected.
Not sad for his passing,although I wish that on no one,not even Arthur Modell.
More along the lines of another recent passing-Joe Paterno.
Both Joe Paterno and Arthur Modell did some very good things in their lives for a lot of people.
However,both of them will be remembered for one huge mistake that each tried to cover up and justify their misdeeds.
It is kind of sad really,A life that was spent trying to do good things,yet remembered more for one bad,yet neither ever truly repented.

I suppose I had more joy when Modell was forced to sell the Ravens because even with the sweetheart deal that he received from Baltimore,his poor business acumen still did not allow his family to keep the team,which was the reason he claimed to move to begin with.
In the end,no one really won except Baltimore.
Modell lost his legacy (and please, no posthumous Hall of Fame election),Cleveland lost its team and pro sports lost as well as the move was the final nail that proved no matter the support that it truly is all about a few rich families playthings.

However,I still am torn.
On one hand,should one speak ill of one that cannot be alive to defend themselves?
Or should a person that did bad things be exonerated just because they died?
I can see both sides,but in the end-I suppose I'll stick with this-I wish no one death,but I think I'll pass on forgiving Arthur Modell.
He didn't ask for it,so I'm unable to give it to him..

One final thing-for myself and other fans,perhaps we cannot forgive,but maybe now with the passing of Arthur Modell,he can have what his legacy truly deserves-Irrelevance.
It will take time,although I am amused when I  read flowery words of "Forgive and Forget" from Baltimore fans about Modell.
Brought to you from the people that still hate Bob Irsay,the Ravens to this day refuse to use the word Colts in their stadium,but Cleveland fans should "get over it" and " move on".
Perhaps so,please help by showing how you have dealt with Irsay's memory so "Successfully".
Hypocritical to say the least.
Art Modell lived a life of needing attention,perhaps now Cleveland fans can do what he would have like least-not thinking about him at all.....

No comments: