Friday, September 14, 2012

The overhand right!

I have decided to start a occasional feature on boxing where I look at upcoming fights,results from the ring and any comments involving the periphery of the game as well.
Hope you enjoy it.
Each column with the overhand right will have a feared puncher's picture and we start with Thomas "the Hitman" Hearns to your -Wait for it.....right....

Big night for boxing Saturday night with HBO putting the Julio Cesar Chavez Jr-Sergio Martinez card on its pay per view arm and Showtime countering with the Saul Alvarez-Josesito Lopez slate on its parent network.
I'll get to see neither live as I'll be at the road office,but I will get to view the Showtime card when I arrive home from work.

Why HBO and Showtime are putting major events against each other when the numbers will cannibalize each other seems to be a mistake to me,but such is the state of boxing to hurt itself.
Put the three 'titles' aside (sorry WBO),the true "leagues" that are beginning to divide the sport are HBO and Showtime....

I am really looking forward to the Martinez-Chavez fight,not only because I think it will be one of the better fights this year,but I like both fighters.
As an avowed huge fan of Julio Cesar Chavez Sr,I naturally pull for Jr.,but I have come to be quite a fan of Sergio Martinez as well,who despite not holding a belt,is the true middleweight champion.
I can see Chavez bullying his way past Martinez,who for all of his success at 160,is more of a true 154 pounder,but the more likely scenario to me has Martinez sticking and moving and wearing Chavez down in the later rounds for a stoppage or a comfortable decision win...

With the winner of the Martinez-Chavez fight holding both a belt and the real championship,their next fight should be against WBA and IBF titlist Daniel Geale of Australia,who unified those two belts with a split decision win over Felix Sturm in Germany,but I have a better idea.
Considering that Saturday's winner might want an optional defense,what about Geale vs Gennady Golovkin,who was so impressive a few weeks back ?
And better yet have both fights on the same HBO cards to then have the winners fight on an HBO pay per view card next year?
I need to get into this business!!

I am happy to see Josesito Lopez getting a nice paycheck in his WBC Jr.Middleweight championship bout against Saul Alvarez after his upset over Victor Ortiz,but I just cannot see the tough as rocks Lopez keeping Alvarez at bay giving away two divisions over his natural weight.
Showtime has this one along with two other title fights as well as the return of Marcos Maidana.
Maidana was supposed be returning to the 140 pound division after his dull performance in losing to Devon Alexander,but will be taking on Jesus Soto-Karass at 147.

Speaking of Maidana,could there be a better action fight to be made than Maidana against fellow Argentine Lucas Matthysse?
I would love to see that fight!

Looks like Juan Manuel Marquez will get his fourth crack at Manny Pacquaio in December.
I thought Marquez won all three of the previous bouts,but is 0-2-1 against the Pac Man.
Despite the "win" by Timothy Bradley over Pacquaio,there is next to no demand to see a rematch of a bout that only two people think that the winner won.
I thought the fight was closer than most observers,but still I had Pacquaio a clear winner....

WBA 122 pound champ Guillermo Rigondeaux's defense on the Martinez-Chavez undercard has been on and off three times since its announcement,but for now it is back on.
Rigondeaux's management team has sued the fighter in order to block Saturday's defense against Roberto Marraquin.
The bout is promoted by Top Rank and the management team claims that Golden Boy Promotions has offered a better contract.
That may be so,but no one at the Jr,Featherweight level brings the money or name that Top Rank's Nonito Donaire does and a contract with Golden Boy takes that fight off the table.
Considering the speed of the talented Cuban,I might even pick Rigondeaux to upset Donaire if that fight is ever made.

I haven't had the time to watch the documentary on HBO on the Klitschko brothers,but it looks like a film that finally shows some of the back story of the brothers that dominated the heavyweight division,yet never seemed to gain traction in the United States.....

Hope you enjoyed this and as always- looking for feedback.....

Photo Credits:Unknown











No comments: