Sunday, December 2, 2012

My ballot for this years Hall of Fame

Here is my occasional (haven't always remembered to write) voting for the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Lots of new candidates on the list,so lets go from there.
My stance on the PED users is this-IF I believe you were HOF worthy before the PED usage,you get the vote,if not you don't.
Basically I am ignoring the numbers for these guys.

Yes
Barry Bonds-Before PED usage,still the best overall player in the game.
Roger Clemens-The dominant starter of his era
Mike Piazza-A defensive liability,but arguably the best hitting catcher ever.
Craig Biggio-3,000 hits

Likely in the future
Curt Schilling-Top big game pitcher of his time,but overall numbers not quite enough for first ballot

Maybe in the future,but I doubt it
Sammy Sosa-To me,an above average player with big numbers inflated by the era and PED's..
Kenny Lofton-Don't laugh,Check Lofton's numbers and compare them to Tim Raines.
If Lofton can stay on the ballot and Raines eventually gets in,maybe...
Julio Franco-If we were drafting to play a game,I'd take Julio Franco over Craig Biggio,but the stats are not quite there.

No one else has even a small chance of consideration of the first timers to me...

Returning Contenders

Yes
Jeff Bagwell-Great power numbers with some time spent in the worst power park in the game,no proof of PED usage other than big muscles.
Dale Murphy-For a few years the best player in the game,if that standard worked to get Jim Rice in,why not Murph?
Lee Smith-If dominant closers are starting get elected,big Lee needs to be part of the HOF as well..

Likely in the future
Jack Morris-To me,linked to Curt Schilling for the same reasons,only with more wins.

Maybe in the future-Borderline
Alan Trammell-I am ambivalent on Trammell,I might be persuaded eventually.

Maybe in the future,but I doubt it
Tim Raines-A very good player,but I just don't see Raines as Cooperstown level.

Notable No's
Edgar Martinez-Not crazy about a career DH,I could live with a few years at career's end,but not for a full career book of work.
Don Mattingly-If he was not a Yankee,he would have been just another good player.
Fred McGriff-Good for a long period of time,but never great.
Mark McGwire-Without PED's just another good power hitter.
Rafael Palmeiro-Before PED's.he was similar to Mark Grace,who I would not vote for either...
Larry Walker- A good player helped by Coors Field,the Anti-Bagwell.

There's my thoughts,feel free to share yours!!!





No comments: