Saturday, December 8, 2012

The Overhand Right

The Overhand Right returns on the eve of Manny Pacquiao-Juan Manuel Marquez IV..

I have a funny feeling that this will go one of two ways (I know I'm fence straddling,but stay with me) and I both are reasonably possible.
I can see Pacquiao finally using his speed to overwhelm a suddenly aging Marquez and deliver the decisive victory that he has never gotten,but I can also see this one going like the others-nip and tuck and the judges finally (after all the bad publicity) bend over backwards to give the decision to Marquez.
Judges are human too and don't bet against that being in someone's subconscious mind.
If it is razor close and goes Marquez's way,I would bet money that somewhere,sometime-these guys hook it up down the road for a fifth time.
I've thought Marquez won all three fights,albeit that any could have went the other way.
I think the two scenarios above are the most likely,but I lean towards the second and a narrow Marquez win.
Does he get the decision is the better question?

I must admit to some surprise in Austin Trout's upset win last week over Miguel Cotto.
I had figured Trout to be another untested light hitting fighter stepping up against the heavier hitting Cotto,who looked so impressive in his recent losing effort to Floyd Mayweather,
Trout clearly outboxed Cotto and from that performance likely will not rate high on anyone's dance card in the near future.
Even though Trout and WBC Jr.Middleweight champ Saul Alvarez are both promoted by Golden Boy,there is almost no way Golden Boy will put the cash cow that is Alvarez in against Trout anytime soon.
Alvarez can just as easily get outpointed by Floyd Mayweather for PPV money as he can by Trout on Showtime.

Boxing returns to the Networks on back to back weekends in December with CBS showing a Leo Santa Cruz 118 pound title defense with NBC airing the Tomas Adamek-Steve Cunningham rematch the following week.
I have always proposed that boxing cannot bounce back without more free TV bouts.
This seems to be a good start....

Ricky Hatton was leading his comeback bout against Vyachaslav Senchenko before being stopped by a body shot in the ninth round.
Hatton announced his retirement after the bout.
Hatton was always a limited,although exciting fighter to watch and the loss cost him a bout against WBA Welter champ Paulie Malignaggi,who Hatton defeated a few years ago.

Speaking of Malignaggi,who ranks near the top fighters list that I tire of seeing and hearing about "how this time he truly has put it all together" only to lose in convincing fashion and then show up a year later with more of the same pap,he may be a boring fighter,but he might be the best color analyst in the game.
Malignaggi is bright,knows the sports history and clearly knows his stuff.
As much as I dislike seeing him in the ring,that's how much I like his work behind the mic.
I hope to see Malignaggi with a regular post when his career concludes.

Wish I could say the same for the Showtime replacement for Gus Johnson,when Johnson is away with football and basketball games, in Mauro Ranallo.
Ranallo comes from the MMA world and his excitable style is similar to Johnson as his "I am reading this fighters resume' off this sheet that the research staff gave me in order to look knowledgeable"manner of speech.
Showtime has the best analysts in the game with Al Bernstein and Paulie Malignaggi,its too bad that they do not go out and get a qualified blow by blow man to go with them.



No comments: