Monday, April 29, 2013

Cleaning out the inbox...

We clean out the inbox to end the month of April.
I have plenty planned for the beginning of May as we will have the top 15 prospects for the Pirates and Indians, a look back and forward for the non-playoff bound Devils, an interview with someone from the non-sports world, and of course more from the signing front, which might discuss why this has become more like work and why if it does not change soon, how I pursue the hobby could change...

We start with an interesting article from Field and Stream that my long time (I'll pass on the word old since she is younger than me! ) friend Drista Bowser posted on Facebook on hunting Morel Mushrooms.
As you all know, I am crazy about mushrooms and you might remember from a post last year, I am attempting to grow them through a tree stump with plugs infused with spawn from various 'shrooms.
As much as I would love to find and eat these and as simple as this article makes things clear, I would still wager that the lovely Cherie will still have a panic attack about my poisoning myself and not allow me to do so.
I'll be careful,honey-I promise !!!

Former ABC soap staples All My Children and One Life to Live return to the "air" with new online versions with some of the former stars.
I thought it was a shame two years ago when I wrote about the silly cancellation by ABC and how much I always enjoyed watching OLTL with my late Aunt Edna during summers off from school.
She loved her soaps so much, so I have a soft spot for the soap genre' even though I long ago quit watching.
Good for them for bringing them back!

I enjoyed a weekend of championship boxing and I agreed with both decisions that had champions retaining their titles.
I thought Sergio Martinez won the final two rounds, which he had to have to retain his middleweight title.
I had Martinez ahead of Martin Murray 114-113, while Danny Garcia kept his junior welterweight titles over Zab Judah on my card 117-111 in an exciting fight.

Looks like one of our favorites here at the world headquarters has found a spot as Erik Arnesen will be the number one starter for the Somerset Patriots of the Atlantic League.
The Atlantic League is the top league in Independent baseball and is noted for being a jumping point back into the affiliated world.
Good luck to Erik and we hope to see him at the AL All-Star game in Waldorf MD....

SB Nation scores with this offering based on Reggie Collier, who was a QB that I watched often in the USFL with some other mentions of quarterbacks that starred in college and in Canada.
You may not agree with all the opinions that are offered, but it still is a cool look back at exciting players in their day.

Finally goodbye to former heavyweight contender Carl "the truth" Williams, who passed away at the age of 53.
The talented Williams possessed a terrific jab and is best known for his losses in two title fights, a razor-close loss to then-undefeated Larry Holmes, and a first-round stoppage against Mike Tyson, that I thought was premature.
Williams at his peak was quite talented and might have eventually been a champion, if not for Tyson...

No comments: