Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Pirates drop opener

A day late,but a freebie short as the Pittsburgh Pirates fell behind in the first and were never able to get into the game as Anthony Rizzo's first inning homer gave the Chicago Cubs all the runs that they needed in a 3-1 Cubs win at PNC Park.
The Pirates would score their only run in the ninth as Andrew McCutchen was hit by a pitch,stole second and then would score as Pedro Alvarez had the teams only RBI when his single brought McCutchen home.
A.J. Burnett allowed all three runs in five and two thirds,striking out ten in dropping the decision (0-1)
The Cubs will be in town for the next two days,when the Pirates then travel to Los Angeles..

Pirate Hooks

1) Is it possible to fan ten,allow just six hits,walk one and still not impress?
I felt that way about A.J. Burnett's start.
Perhaps I am a tough grader and the numbers show differently,but I just have a funny feeling....

2) Anthony Rizzo's first inning shot to right center was crushed.
Considering the cold made the hammer blow even more impressive and I bet warmer weather might have sent the ball another ten -twenty feet with ease..
I told Battlin' Bob via message that I thought I heard the ball drop in my front yard.....

3) I was surprised at the number of empty seats.
I know it was a sellout and I know the weather was less than cooperative,but considering the relatively high expectations,I was figuring that fewer people would spend time impersonating seats....

4) Pedro Alvarez batted cleanup and that decision,assuming that it stays that way for a period of time,could go a long way in the lineup getting to be a reasonably good one.
Alvarez strikes out a lot (180 times last season) and if he repeats last years .244,this may not be a great decision,not that Clint Hurdle has an abundance of options.....

5) Rachel: Dad,why do you watch the Pirates?
Me; They've been my team for a long time.
Rachel: What about the Indians?
Me: I love them too,but I like National League baseball better.
Rachel: What's the difference?
Me: I explain
Rachel:Ok,what league do the Giants play in?
Me; National
Rachel: Let's watch them then,the Pirates stink.
Me: Begins to flip back and forth on the TV,unable to argue.....

Photo Credit: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

No comments: