Friday, April 19, 2013

Looking back at Altoona...

Finally,I have time to talk about my trip to Altoona for the Curve's exhibition game against the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Game is probably putting it lightly as I would call it a mixed scrimmage as each team had players on both sides and it was played in a similar fashion as such,although Andrew Lambo did make a nice diving catch.
I went with my good friends Mike and John Oravec,who were nice enough to order tickets and then drive,lord knows that I was not able to do so.

We drove the longer but less traveled road to Altoona in which the scenery is nice and the traffic is less before eating at a John Oravec favorite Eat N Park.
I often stop at an Eat N Park on the way to Ohio and I always enjoy their food.
The home of the "Smiley Cookie" (which Cherie and Rachel were rewarded with a dozen) serves a pretty good burger as well.

I always enjoy Blair County Ballpark (There is now a corporate name too) and on this day,it was packed!
As in over 10,000 with the team selling standing room tickets for a record attendance.
Mike and John had never been there so we took several tours around the park to see everything that there was to see,which is plenty.
The Curve did very well in letting the gates open so the fans could see the Pirates take batting practice and the obligatory pre-game festivities.
I didn't see a ton of players signing,but time was short with everything going on and I completely understand that the time was short.
The only two that I remember seeing sign was Chris Leroux and A.J. Burnett,but again time was short.

I also don't remember a ton about the game,scoring it would have been a nightmare and other than Lambo's catch and a grand slam homer by Starling Marte,I don't seem to remember much at all with the constant changes from both teams.
After leaving,a stop at Sheetz for gas,we were on our way home where I would be preparing for work...

Thanks again to Mike and John for a great day and allowing me to share John's birthday present with him!

I hope to be back tonight with an on the signing front....

No comments: