Sunday, March 15, 2015

Kovalev stops Pascal in eight

In a terrific fight from Montreal,Sergey Kovalev retained his WBA and IBF Lt.Heavyweight titles with an eighth round knockout of Jean Pascal in front of a sold out crowd filled with Pascal fans.
Kovalev knocked Pascal through the ropes late in the third round and had Pascal hurt to the point that I would say that the bell saved Pascal from losing the fight right there.
For boxing fans,the clanging bell was quite fortunate as Pascal rallied and even won a few rounds in an exciting and competitive bout.
Kovalev closed the show in the eighth with Pascal in a corner taking booming right hands off the skull before the referee stopped the bout over Pascal's protests,but it appeared to be a good stoppage to me..
After the bout,WBC champion Adonis Stevenson claimed he would finally fight Kovalev.
Until I see that signed,color me dubious of that claim.

As good as the main event was,the co-feature was that bad as Vyachaslav Glazkov won a bad bout that was dull to watch and then compounded by an awful decision over Steve Cunningham in a heavyweight title eliminator.
Glazov won on all three cards and appeared surprised that he won.
I had Cunningham winning 116-112.

R.L. Malpica earned four points to my three in the boxing challenge and boosted his lead to 27-25.
R.L. received two points for each bout,while I received just one for the Kovalev victory as I foresaw a decision win...

No comments: