Sunday, October 4, 2015

Postol stuns Matthysse-Boxing Challenge

The boxing challenge with R.L.Malpica rolled on with an upset in the 140 pound division that has division shaking affects...

On the HBO side of the evening,the shocker came when Viktor Postol stunned Lucas Matthysse with a tenth round knockout.
Postol,not known as a puncher,dropped Matthyssee with a short right hand that dropped the Argentine to his knees and despite looking like he could have risen,chose not to.
Matthysse was favored by most,but I did see a few people looking at Postol as a live dog in this one,due to his style,which controlled the day.
It has become clear that Matthysse cannot handle taller fighters with a decent jab,which is how Danny Garcia took a close decision over him.
This was not nearly as close as I had Postol ahead 87-84 entering the tenth round.
Postol earned the WBC title with the win and immediately was being talked about as the next opponent for WBO titlist Terrence Crawford,who is an HBO star and in need of a strong future fight should he defeat Dierry Jean in three weeks on the network.
Ramon and I each picked Matthysse,so "No points on that one"

On a side note-ever notice how huge punchers often times show little heart in losses?
I'll be talking about this on a future podcast,but I'm always surprised that a bomber has no qualms about going toe to toe for 12 rounds as Lucas Matthyssee did in 12 rounds of hell vs Ruslan Provodnikov,but often will not continue after being out-jabbed by a boxer/puncher.
It has to be mostly mental....

The HBO co-feature saw Ramon and I each add two points for Antonio Orozco's unanimous decision win over Humberto Soto.
The cards were all wider than my 96-94 score for Orozco,but the judges had the correct winner,so that's as much as I can ask for....

Over on Showtime,Ramon and I each added two points for getting the winners correct,but not how they earned their victories..

Adrien Broner added the WBA version of the 140 pound crown with a 12th round stoppage of Khalib Allakhverdiev.
I had Broner far ahead at the time of the ending,but Broner didn't overly impress in the win.
Broner simply was in with a fighter that allowed him to do what he wanted.
The best part of this fight (and I mean that loosely) came when Broner challenged Floyd Mayweather to offer up Ashley Theophane from his "Money Team".
That's Ashley Theophane as in 35 year old,39 and 6 with zero victories over world class opposition.
Ashley Theophane.
That fight will get made too as PBC continues to emulate the worst of pro wrestling.
Only in boxing.....

In the co-feature,Jose Pedraza retained his IBF Jr.Lightweight title with a split decision over Edner Cherry.
I scored Cherry a 115-113 winner and wouldn't have quibbled with a similar scorecard for Pedraza.
However,both Pedraza winning scorecards notched a 117-111 verdict,which was way out of whack in my opinion.
Pedraza lost even more points with me with a post-fight interview that saw him comment on a potential rematch with "Yes,but he'll have to wait a while" when asked why "I'm the champ,he waits for me".
Uhhh,Ok.

I still retain my four point lead over R.L in the boxing challenge at 118-114

No comments: