Thursday, October 30, 2008

Reviewing the tape-Seahawks roll by the Bay

After finally having time to review the tape of the Seahawks 34-13 trouncing of the 49ers in San Francisco,here are a few thoughts.
Look for the Devils loss to Toronto to be covered in a later post today.........

Shawn's Thoughts

1) Leonard Weaver scored two touchdowns on short passes and took them a long way(43 and 62 yards) to the end zone.
That should quiet some rumblings that had his job at fullback in question against rookie Owen Schmitt for a while....

2) Then why am I writing this?
As much as I like the skills of Weaver in the passing game,I still like the blocking of Schmitt and would love to see the West Virginia rookie see the field more often in the running game as the lead blocker for whomever is at halfback....
There is room for both of these guys to play often....

3) The game that drove the stake into the heart of the Niners came late in the first half.
Josh Wilson rolled off stepped in front of a J.T.O'Sullivan pass and scored a back breaking TD that made the score 20-3 Seattle instead of either 13-10 or 13-6.
Wilson has been erratic this year in coverage,but it sure isn't for lack of effort.....

4) The stat sheets show a nice game from Julian Peterson,but what he does isn't always about numbers.
Those of you out there that play in my fantasy league know about my fondness for JP.
Battlin Bob sure knows.
I am not sure that, if age was not a factor, I would not take Peterson as an all around linebacker over anyone in the league.....

5) Rocky Bernard owns the Niners line,2 sacks in the game and all three sacks on the year against San Francisco.

6) With the big plays from Weaver and Wilson,this wasn't a big issue,but only 39 yards rushing for the day?
With Matt Hasselbeck out again for the Eagle game,Seneca Wallace will need the Julius Jones/Mo Morris combo to step up a bit.....

7) Seneca Wallace is not loaded with a huge arm,so I see why the short passes in his case,but it seemed like he struggled in putting the ball out front for his receivers to catch in stride.
Too many times,his pass catchers had to stop to catch the ball and get tackled within no time at all.

8) I like to think that I break down tape,but with the teams that we cover here,my time is limited to how much I can do,but John Morgan at Field Gulls watches tape with the best of them.
His work over there is outstanding and sometimes makes me wonder if I missed things.
Last year,I was able to get John for a mid-season interview and I will be working on trying to get another one....

Back later with the Devils loss by shootout and finally some bullpen notes!!!

Photo Credits
Weaver-AP Photo
Wilson-Rod Mar-Seattle Times

No comments: