Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Looking back and forward-Giants style!

I did not have game by game coverage of the NLCS and I should have.
I watched every game,so I could have,but I didn't.
SO.... in order to get something down here,here are some bullet points on the National League Champion San Francisco Giants before the start of the World Series.

1) Giants fans rip on GM Brian Sabean a lot for what seems to be decisions that make you wonder,but Marco Scutaro's acquisition isn't one of those.
Scutaro has done nothing but hit as a Giant and I would not mind a bit if the Giants re-signed the veteran to a two year contract.
Even if Scutaro leaves,he made the deal well worthwhile between his high level of performance and the low cost of AAA infielder Charlie Culbertson...

2) Barry Zito will never be worth the contract that he signed,but full credit to Zito for his gutsy outing in St.Louis in game five.
With the Giants down and almost out,it would have been easy to see Zito fail one more time considering the circumstances,but the veteran used guts and guile to keep his team in the game and take the series back to the bay,where the bats would wake up.
And his two out bunt single that caught the Redbirds napping and seemed to demoralize them was a nice touch too.
Nice to see Barry Zito get a break and I mean that no matter how he pitches in a few hours.

3) I still cannot believe the "three hit" broken bat grounder off the bat of Hunter Pence.
For those that have not seen it,Pence hit the pitch (breaking the bat),the ball then hit the barrel again as the barrel broke loose and then hit the bat again in mid air,giving the ball one of the most unusual spins that I have ever seen.
Pete Kozma looked like he was trying to tackle Gale Sayers in the open field rather than fielding a grounder and I don't blame Kozma a bit.
Just one of those breaks-pun intended....

4) Something to look back at when the World Series is over-struggles for the Giants big hitters in the NLCS
Buster Posey,Pablo Sandoval and Hunter Pence,did they get a cold streak out of the way or was that the foreshadowing of a bad World Series?

5) As a Tim Lincecum fan.,I wish that he was in the rotation for the series,but this might be the right move.
Lincecum might be better suited as a dominant short man or a solid long man in the set and as much as I'd like to see him get the ball,this might be the better idea...

6) I do wonder about Madison Bumgarner and his decreased velocity during the playoffs.
Bumgarner will start game two and that might determine if he starts again during the series.
Bumgarner has struggled with velocity and location and if he has issues,it might be tough for the Giants to win without contributions from two of their top three starters in the rotation...

7) The amazing thing about the Giants to me is how they get such mileage from players that have been nothing special before hitting the orange and black.
Case in point is two thirds of their outfield.
Angel Pagan and Gregor Blanco aren't exactly Mays and Bonds out there,but some way both have played over their heads with extremely productive seasons,much like Andres Torres did in 2010.

8) Bruce Bochy makes me nervous.
I cannot stand the pitching parade from the seventh inning on and the depletion of the bullpen always makes me think the worse.
I remember feeling the same way with Mike Hargrove with my beloved Indians during their 90's run and I liked Hargrove!!!

9) On paper,this should be all Tigers.Better hitting and maybe even better pitching (for now anyway),although I give the San Francisco bullpen the edge.
I normally pick with the head,but not this time-Giants in seven.
Go Giants...

No comments: