Friday, October 5, 2012

Talkin' Debate One

A few thoughts on last night's debate.

A disclaimer-I have already decided on who will get my vote ,although I will not disclose that yet.
I write that in order to not be labeled an undecided or biased in one manner or another,so I wanted to add that up front.

I watched the debate twice.
Once at the road office and once this afternoon during time that I should have been sleeping as it was replayed on PBS.
I found a few things that of interest during the replay that I noticed that I didn't follow as much as my first viewing at work,but more importantly,I think that debates are interesting to watch,but rarely force a voter to change their mind.
Most of the time,the candidate that a person is going to vote for usually wins the debate in that persons mind,so the performance is usually spun to the person's preference.

However,watching the replay,I thought Mitt Romney came off better than he did in my first viewing.
Of course,it was the same debate,but I was a little busier at work,so the nuances sometimes slip through when you are not paying tight attention.
Put the various "facts" and "plans" aside as again those things are all subjective and each side accuses the other of fudging the facts and that their opponents plans to do not add up,but look at attitude for this purpose.
Mitt Romney did everything but strut across the stage and slap Barack Obama across the face like a wrestling valet that couldn't be punched back.
It was that much of a bullying event for Mitt Romney,who looked so juiced for this event like he had overdosed on Red Bull and did everything to show it short of pawing the ground with his foot and snorting fire.

So many of these things are style not substance and looking like you won is often more important than what you see.
Mitt Romney wanted to win.Barack Obama was looking to survive.
Sometimes trying to win is much of the battle....





No comments: