Friday, October 12, 2012

Talkin' VP Debate

Last night's Vice Presidential debate might have been the best debate in years as far as entertainment and straight speaking.

First,allow me to preface this column with this statement.
I like Joe Biden.Always have.
As someone that has been known to say something awkward (albeit the way I see) on several occasions,I know how Biden can slip up.
When you have passions in life,it can be tough to restrain your passion at times when you speak about things and Biden has been known to not always be able to ride that horse.
However,Joe Biden comes across as the most authentic politician of our times and whether you like what he says or not,he says what he feels,which may not always be what is best for him or his political positions.
When a politician plays the "I'm one of you" card,few actually come across as,well,one of us.
Joe Biden does.
For all the weaknesses and foibles,Joe Biden relates to the,excuse the pun,average Joe.

Paul Ryan comes across as an intelligent person that knows his stuff.
Nothing wrong with that nor is there anything wrong with Ryan's being a policy wonk.
It's always good to have knowledgeable people in charge,something the GOP lacked from from January 2001-January 2009,so no knock on Ryan there.
However,Ryan seems to believe that he is the smartest guy in the room,which I suppose is often the case,but he comes across as plastic as a water bottle and articulately unauthentic.
I suppose I have just coined the catch phrase for future opponents to whack Ryan over the head with in future campaigns!

That was the difference in what I saw in the debate as I saw two talented politicians coming from two different directions that did not have anything to do with their policies or ideas.
I saw one person that came across as a person that understood the average person,even if some of his policies that he represented are flawed that will not work and another that has the look of some of the people that I saw in high school/college of privilege with some ideas that might work,but with an air of superiority that comes off as quite condescending.

As I said in the look at the last debate,these debates really prove little as most people on either end of the political rope tend to have decided that their candidate blew the other person away before they even take the stage,but this one was way more interesting as both Biden and Ryan made reasonable statements,yet it had a tinge of legitimate interaction.
Biden's grins brought to mind something thinking "This is such a load of B.S" and Ryan's smirks reminded me of someone pondering "this guy's day has passed".
Actually,Ryan made me think of a high schooler or college grad,if you prefer,that walks into the world after the graduation day and believes that they have all the answers because they went through school.
I suppose all of us think that way in the idealism of the young,but in the political game,being in your 40's on the national scene is much like being 18/22 in the real world.

Another political touch that I love is the constant "my friend" that Biden uses constantly when it soaks through that they do not really consider the other a friend at all.
A little bit of animosity can be a good thing,especially when it's real and considering that it is definitely real between the two party bases.
I would much rather have a little nastiness during a debate far more than these gutless commercials that accuse each other of everything and anything and then shake hands,play patty cake and smile on the debate stage.....

Who won? Well,I believe the reader/watcher can make that decision for themselves,but I will say this-for one night,it was fun viewing.....

No comments: