The Cleveland Browns defense scored two touchdowns,but were unable to stop the Chicago Bears when it counted in the second half as the Bears ended the Cleveland home schedule with a 38-31 Chicago win.
Jason Campbell threw for 273 yards and a touchdown,but tossed two interceptions as well.
The now 4-10 Browns will finish the season on the road with games against the Jets and Steelers.
1)The defense did score twice,but again for the third week in a row,failed in crunch time.
The defense is still a work in progress and it once again showed.
2) T.J. Ward tipped a pass in the end zone for an interception to Tashaun Gipson and recovered a fumble that he scooped for a touchdown.
Ward has stepped his play up over the last few weeks as he enters free agency at season's end.
It will be interesting to see if the Browns attempt to keep Ward or if they allocate that money in other areas....
3) Jason Campbell looked bothered by the weather on his two interceptions.
The first one clearly hung in the air and the second lacked some zip and there could have been a miscommunication with Greg Little (I think) on the play.
4) Josh Gordon caught a long pass for a score in garbage time,but otherwise was bottled up by a Bears defense that came into the game among the worst in the league.
Just goes to show over the course of the season,even the best have less than top notch games...
5) Fro m the Cleveland Plain Dealer-"The Browns blew a fourth-quarter lead for the third straight game. The
Bears had four fourth-quarter possessions, scoring touchdowns on the
first three and taking a knee on the last one. Remove that final series
and here's what the Browns' fourth-quarter defense looks like in the
last three games: Nine possessions, eight scores, six touchdowns."
6) Edwin Baker rushed for 38 yards on eight carries and a touchdown in his NFL debut after being signed from Houston.
Baker ripped off a 15 yard run which was longer than Trent Richardson's longest run in his two games as a Brown.
7) The two player misjump that saw Alshon Jeffrey grab the ball and score broke the back of the Browns.
I have been a Jeffrey fan dating back to his days at South Carolina and wanted the Browns to take him.
The Browns passed and took Brandon Weeden and Mitchell Schwartz.
8) The return of the wildcat as Mar'Quis Gray made it work in his possession as he rushed for 30 yards on a possession that ended in a score.
Not a wildcat fan,but Gray was effective against the Bears...
9) Joe Haden left the game in the second half with a hip pointer and Jay Cutler went to work on the Browns secondary.
Chicago scored three TD's in four fourth period possession and the fourth saw a kneel down...
10) The Browns loss put them at 4-10 and are one of five teams with that record,
If the draft was held today,Cleveland could pick as high as third or as low as seventh....
Photo Credit;Cleveland Plain Dealer