It took a double bounce for the New Jersey Devils to score the game winning goal in the third period against the New York Islanders at the beautiful Nassau Coliseum,but bounce it did past Evgeni Nabokov for a 2-1 New Jersey victory.
Marek Zidlicky's shot bounced off an Islander (Franz Nielsen,I think) and then slammed off Travis Zajac's shoulder (7) and into the net.
Adam Henrique scored (8) for the Devils first goal and his second in two nights.
New Jersey will tackle Pittsburgh Tuesday for the finish of 2013 in an afternoon matinee'.
1) Two great plays in this one-the first was the controlling of the puck by Jaromir Jagr on the game winning goal.
Not just flashy puck handling,but effectively dominating the puck before the Zidlicky shot.
Jaromir Jagr has been the only creative Devil on this team for the season and he has been the offensive force...
2) Another nifty move on the first goal from the "Heartthrob" line.
Reid Boucher skating on the wing backhanded the puck on the tape of Adam Henrique,who lifted the backhand over Nabokov for the goal.
Slick moves by both players..
3) Adam Henrique might be the best fit for Reid Boucher on a line .
Young enough to skate with him,mature enough to help the young guy along.
Both players looked very strong last night...
4) Cory Schneider finished with 30 saves and was solid.
The only goal that beat him was off a deflection,so Schneider was excellent.
Cory didn't have to make a ton of great saves,but he made all the routine ones,which is all you can ask for...
5) Ryane Clowe got into a fight with Matt Carkner.
The Devils have the fewest fights in the league,so it was nice to see a bout,but my concern is that a guy with concussion issues is slugging it out.
Like the effort,but wonder about the smarts...
6) Bryce Salvador returned from a long absence and didn't play well.
Salvador was near the play that saw Franz Nielsen tie the game,
Rusty,I'm sure,but he'll need to step it up.
Photo Credit:AP Photo