Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Bye Bye Banner and Lombardi!!

Out of the clear (?) sky Tuesday morning, I saw it flash across Twitter.
Joe Banner and Mike Lombardi were relieved of duties by Cleveland Browns!

Now look, I'm not saying that former Eagle linebacker Ray Farmer will be a whiz at GM or that Alec Scheiner will be great as President (which I don't really care about bean-counting), but I will say this-Knowing little about Ray Farmer as an executive beats knowing what Mike Lombardi brings to the table.
Or as I said in a discussion with another Browns fan-Farmer is unknown, so that's a risk, Lombardi is a known quantity as a poor executive, so I'll take my chances with Farmer.

None of this is to say that I'm thrilled with Farmer,who assisted with last year's less than strong draft,but did not have the final say and therefore doesn't deserve to have that hung around his neck.
Farmer also doesn't come with a huge resume' other than being the director of player personnel with the Chiefs just before Scott Pioli ran the Chiefs into the number one pick and his one year with the Browns.
I am open-minded though as Farmer will have his own say for the first time and will get his chances to succeed.

The losses of Banner and Lombardi actually made me leap and do a little softshoe at the world headquarters, so no matter how poorly Ray Farmer could do, I still wouldn't miss these two.
Joe Banner may have been a tough man to bargain with at the table and good with the finances, but he wanted to be on the football end and he just wasn't equipped for that part of the job.
Banner could have been very helpful to the organization had he been able to concentrate on what he did best.
However, it appears that his ego simply could not handle that and therefore he deserved to go.

No comments: