Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The Six Round Staredown

One of the great things about Twitter has been the people that you meet that share the same interests.
One of which has been R.L.Malpica,who shares my love of boxing and does his blog Boxing Undercard on Blogspot as well.

R.L. and I have had so much fun talking boxing that we came to an agreement to work together once a month with the "Six Round Staredown",a series of which we each ask the other three questions and put three on each of our blogs.

I'll be placing the questions,R.L's response and then my opinions on the same questions.
Later today when R.L. posts his questions to me on his blog-I'll be linking there as well.

 Round 4: How excited are you about Kovalev vs Stevenson,who wins and how?

R.L:    
Sergai Kovalev vs. Adonis Stevenson is easily the most highly anticipated bout of the year.  I’m extremely excited and can’t wait for these two monsters to step into the squared circle.  I expect Kovalev to go after Stevenson right from the opening bell to try and impede his will on the light heavyweight champ.  Adonis will most likely lose the first couple rounds but I see him gaining Kovalev’s respect with his power early in the fight.  Once that happens, Kovalev will be more deliberate in his attack and Stevenson will knock him out within seven rounds. 

TRS:
I think this might be the most action packed 175 pound bout since Archie Moore-Yvon Durelle.
Stevenson has a little bit more movement and I think he will try to move a bit,but like Hagler-Hearns,Stevenson will be forced to stand his ground and create tons of action.
The difference? Chin.We aren't sure about Kovalev's,but we know about Stevenson's-questionable.
IF you cannot take shots from Darnell Boone,you aren't likely to handle Sergey Kovalev.
Kovalev in 4

Round 5: For each promoter Top Rank & Golden Boy ,who is the one fighter you cant miss and the one that you are sick of seeing? 

R.L:

Top Rank – Can't Miss Fighter: Felix Verdejo
This young killer has superstar written all over him!  The Puerto Rican native is 10-0 (7 KO's) and displays mind-blowing power for a lightweight.  He's Top Ranks future.  The next Felix "Tito" Trinidad!

Top Rank – Sick of Seeing: Guillermo Rigondeaux
There's no doubt that Guillermo is a terrific boxer, but he lacks the intensity and demeanor to be an entertaining fighter. 

Golden Boy – Can't Miss Fighter: Keith Thurman
Anyone who's watched a Keith Thurman fight knows that the kid leaves everything he has in the ring.  He continues to improve and seems to have the determination to be one of the best in the world.  On top of that, he has a really good skill set and some big time punching power.  Now that's a combination that you can't miss!

Golden Boy – Sick of Seeing: Bernard Hopkins
Bernard Hopkins is an all-time great and one of the best technical boxers in middleweight history.  He's accomplished a number of accolades and his triumph over most boxer's toughest opponent (age) makes him a marvel.  Unfortunately, his fights have become extremely tough to watch and it's time for the fighter formerly known as "The Executioner' to walk away.  

TRS:
Top Rank-Can't Miss:Vasyl Lomachenko
The two time gold medal winner looked awesome in his pro debut against top 20 contender Jose Ramirez and goes for a "world title" (I don't recognize WBO) against Orlando Salido next..
A good puncher with boxing skills,this is guy that will save us from Rigondeaux overload!

Top Rank- Sick of Seeing: Brandon Rios
I would agree with Rigondeaux,except for I do want to see Lomachenko against Rigondeaux,so I'll pick another entry.
Brandon Rios.Entertaining,but has come into fights out of shape,failed drug tests and got huge PPV fights coming off losses.
If I'm going to watch Rios,I'd like to see him show up and be ready to go.  

Golden Boy- Can't Miss; Omar Figueroa
Omar Figueroa is all offense and a fun fighter to watch.
I think he needs defensive work and might have been pushed too fast *Elevated to WBC champ",but when he fights with his power and easy to to hit style.It's a must watch!

Golden Boy: Sick of Seeing Zab Judah
Hopkins is an excellent choice,but I'll go one better-Zab Judah.
How many times have we seen Zab Judah lose a big fight,disappoint and then be back in another one with "I'm in the best shape of my life,I'm a new Zab Judah,I'm back to the old Zab Judah Etc"?
I didn't think the old one was that compelling to watch,this one needs to just go away.
Round 6: If you could make one fight in boxing and promotional ties don't apply.what fight,why and who wins?

R.L.:
Gennady Golovkin "GGG" VS. Andre Ward

Andre Ward has dominated the super middleweight division and there hasn’t been a fighter who’s come close to beating him.  Gennady Golovkin not only poses a threat to Andre Ward, if he continues on his path of destruction (26 KO’s in 29 bouts) he may walk away as boxing’s biggest superstar.  Both fighters have an amazing skill set with Ward having the defensive edge while GGG demonstrates an obvious edge in punching power.  In a matchup between these two dynamos, I'd expect GGG's early body attack and relentless style to eventually where Ward down prompting a late stoppage.

TRS:
Ruslan Provodnikov vs the Golden Boy Gang

I'd love to see GGG vs Ward or GGG vs Sergio Martinez but as much as I hate these separate promotions/ leagues.I'd love to see Ruslan Provodnikov jump to Golden Boy.
In my eyes the undefeated "Siberian Rocky" ( I scored him a slight winner over Tim Bradley and a clear winner over Mauricio Herrera on ESPN).
Imagine-Provodnikov going to war with Marcos Maidana, Lucas  Matthysse or Keith Thurman or chasing down and MAKING Danny Garcia or yes,even Floyd Mayweather HAVE to stand and fight against him.
Here is hoping Ruslan quickly fights his last Top Rank fight soon,so these fights could be made.....

Thanks to my new friend R.L and be sure to check out his page to look at my answers to his questions!



No comments: