Thursday, November 22, 2012

Die by the sword

When you watch the Cleveland Browns long enough,you get used to seeing the signs and the sign was that the Browns led 13-0,but could have been 21-0....
That made me wonder quickly if I had seen the future as I thought "This is the type of game that the Browns blow".
Well,the 13-0 lead was lost,but Brandon Weeden hit Ben Watson with a TD that gave the Browns a lead with under two minutes to go before a game tying field goal by Dallas.
Minutes later in overtime,the Cowboys finished off a 23-20 game and the Browns were 2-8.
The Browns return home this Sunday and the Pittsburgh Steelers...

Brownie Bits

1) I rip Pat Shurmur every week and I suppose I'll do it again here.
You could see it in Shurmur's eyes with a 13-0 lead.
"Lock it down and hope the clock keeps running".
That was apparent by the offense which went back to basics and indeed locked it down....

2) More "It's Pat"- Zero points on the best drive of the second half until the late TD as on third down,Trent Richardson's dive was driven back by Dallas as shown above.
Now it is tough to hammer Shurmur totally for this as that is what Richardson was drafted for,but it seems like Pat (as seen with the punt against Indy and silly go for it against Baltimore) tends to do what he was criticized for not doing in the past.
It didn't work,but I'm Ok with the run....

3) Not so much with the fourth down call.
With Dallas leading by four,the field goal was out of play,but a fade pass to Jordan Cameron in the corner of the end zone?
The Browns NEVER complete that pass since the 99 return and to throw it with an passer that is less than accurate to the backup tight end?
Pass play? OK,something easily completed,I'll buy that,but not the called play...

4) Brandon Weeden's fumble in Dallas territory did not help much in pulling out a win,but other than that Weeden's game was not too bad with two touchdowns and most importantly zero picks.
Weeden also has be to given credit for the late game drive that gave the Browns a short-lived lead.
Not great,not terrible,Weeden kept his team in the game and did not cause them to lose,I can live with that for now...

5) No Joe Haden meant that one of the Dallas pass catchers was going to have carte blanche' and it was Dez Bryant with 12 catches for 145 yards.
The Browns secondary is battered and bruised which does not help a below average group with full health...

6) T.J. Ward was fined for a late and brutal hit on Kevin Ogletree in the fourth quarter.
I can not disagree with the fine,Ward did not even try to stop....

7) Sheldon Brown's pass interference call late in the game allowed Dallas to enter chip shot field goal range.
Brown just cannot stay with young receivers.
I have written about Brown before,my opinion has not changed....

8) Great pass rush as the Browns dumped Tony Romo seven times.
Five different Browns defensive linemen finished with a sack and the Browns strongest defensive unit dominated the Dallas offensive line.
With the unit at 100%for the first time all season,I would bet this continues to be the strongest part of the team.

9) Normally,I figure the Steelers are good for a loss,but this time,I give the Browns a chance.
Charlie Batch and the game in Cleveland makes me think this is winnable.
Not saying I'll pick them,but I think maybe....

Photo Credits:Cleveland Plain Dealer.....


No comments: