Saturday, November 24, 2012

The game

Most are working or hitting the Black Friday craziness either in the stores or on line,but two days after Thanksgiving (after a schedule nudge) might be my favorite day of the year.

The Ohio State-michigan game is my favorite sporting event of the season.
I always look forward to it and no sporting event brings the highs of a Buckeye win or the lows of an Ohio State loss.

This one looks to be a good one as michigan has lost a few games,does not have win to boast of,but has not been blown out other than against Alabama and comes to Columbus ready to play after a win last season.
Ohio State is undefeated,but has caught some breaks in getting to that point.
To be honest,as much as I wish that Gene Smith would not have made a short sighted decision to play in the Gator Bowl last season and as a result cost this years team a BCS bid,I think it might be a good thing that OSU is not in the BCS.
I think Ohio State would beat Notre Dame,but some of the other possible opponents would not be a good match.

The atmosphere of this game is nothing like any other game that I root for and that includes the Browns against any of their AFC North rivals.
The fan bases cannot stand each other,so the hatred is year around.
What made the Woody vs Bo era so special was how close the teams and the series was (5-4-1 Bo).
Since the late 80's each team has had a long run of dominance and the rivalry was not weakened,but the games were not exactly the same.
John Cooper did not seem to grasp the rivalry and Ohio State paid for that.
Rich Rodriguez shoved a scheme in that did not fit the talent at michigan,while Lloyd Carr would be outcoached by Jim Tressel for the Wolverines..

All and all,I cannot really express just what this rivalry and Ohio State football means to me.
Just keep this in mind-a win in a few short hours and I'll be in a great mood for a while.
A loss and you might want to not call me for a while!
Go Buckeyes.


No comments: