Saturday, May 2, 2015

Browns take two in round four

The Cleveland Browns had back to back picks in the middle of round four and expected to use them.
They used the first and then added an extra 6th and 7th round pick to drop a few spots with Arizona.
I liked that just for the chance to add a few more bodies.

With the first pick,Cleveland took a safety in Ibraheim Campbell of Northwestern.
I have a ton of respect for Pat Fitzgerald and his Wildcats program and despite some observers thinking that Campbell was more of a sixth rounder,I'm OK with it.
I wrote in our preview that a strong safety to groom behind Donte Whitner would be a great idea sometime during the draft and the Browns agreed.
Campbell is a physical,hard hitter and although he might not have been my top choice,he was the type of player that I was hoping to see in Cleveland by the end of today..

After the trade with the Cardinals,the Browns finally tabbed someone to catch the ball and it was an interesting player in Vince Mayle of Washington State.
Washington State under Mike Leach throws a lot,so Mayle has the stats from last season with 106 catches for just under 1,500 yards.
Mayle is reported to have dropped well into double digit passes last season,but pro-rate that with the Cougars offense and that's like a conventional offense's receiver dropping five passes.
The 6'2 Mayle has the size to be a red zone help and maybe even a little more,even if he lacks top speed.
I also liked that Mayle said he was "humbled" by being a fourth round pick and was going to channel that into hard work.
Gotta love that mentality and I see a trend with the Browns picking solid citizens and guys with high work ethic.
Josh Gordon and last season's draft are the type of thing that can do that to an organization,but I like that thinking.
I don't want to root for teams that employ women beaters,drug users and drunk drivers-I would almost rather lose than root for teams that overlook such conduct and the Browns,at least for now,seem to be moving away from that!
I'll be back later tonight with some thoughts on the new Browns from rounds six and seven!


No comments: