Saturday, May 30, 2015

Khan decisions Algeri, Boxing Challenge

In a better than I expected bout that saw the winner lose a little bit in my eyes and the loser gain some respect-Amir Khan earned a unanimous decision over Chris Algeri on a PBC card in Brooklyn.

Khan didn't show a ton of power and never floored or seriously hurt Algeri,who was coming off being floored eight times in his previous two bouts (six vs Manny Pacquiao and two vs Ruslan Provodnikov) and had a reputation for a less than firm chin,
Algeri was better than I expected and showed heart along with a decent amount of skill in a bout that I thought he was far outclassed in.
I scored the bout 116-112 for Khan,but I cannot help,but think Khan lost some luster in the victory and might be better suited at 140 pounds rather than 147.
Ironically,Khan's less than glittering performance may serve him well in his quest for a shot against Floyd Mayweather,who might look at Khan as a less than high risk after seeing him in this bout....

The co-feature was a pretty good scrap as junior lightweights Javier Fortuna and Bryan Vasquez provided a decent enough action bout that Fortuna generally got the best of.
Fortuna was the unanimous winner and won on my card 117-111.
Fortuna won a lower version of the WBA title,who generally fills divisions with "title belts".

One word on PBC,who likes to place the tag of "title fight" on bouts without recognizing the organization that sanctions said bouts.
The sanctioning bodies can be bad and they can be corrupt,but if you want to talk about the title,you should mention the organization that provides the belts.
Either you ignore them or recognize them,one cannot have the proverbial cake and eat it too.

R.L.Malpica picked up three points to my two in the boxing challenge and moved back into a tie with me for the lead-this time at 56 all.
We each had one point for Fortuna's win,but we each picked it to be via KO.
R.L.picked Amir Khan via unanimous win for two pts and I had one for Khan's win,which I thought would be by knockout....

No comments: