Thursday, May 14, 2015

Person Of Interest-13 enough?

CBS decided to renew my favorite show (Now that Justified has ended) Person of Interest,but did so for just a limited number of 13 episodes down from a full season order of 22.
This usually means that the show is getting a last half season to wrap things and would likely be canceled following next season.

Here's my problem-13 episodes isn't enough to continue the story,let alone continue it.
I've occasionally raved about the show here and despite my adoration for the addition of Amy Acker as "Root",the show has gotten away from what got them "there".
The storyline of the "Machine" vs "Samaritan" has been drawn out a little more than I'd like,but it still resulted in a fine season of viewing.

I love Amy Acker,but "Root" might be best used in half the episodes and despite my liking Sarah Shahi in "Life",her character of "Shaw" has always felt a bit like a character that was shoehorned into having a female lead to replace Taraji P.Henson when her character of "Joss Carter" was killed off to me.
The show was always at its best with the interplay and relationship between Jim Caviezel (Reese) and Michael Emerson (Finch) with saving regular everyday people and their "Numbers" and the show has gotten away from that a little with the Samaritan storyline to my dismay,but that's a mild quibble.
Although a similar problem occurred with the also Bad Robot produced "Revolution"where someone decided to stray away from the formula that hooked their fan base,POI may have wobbled a bit,but they certainly didn't go downhill.

The problem might be as simple as POI is not owned by CBS,while most of their shows are owned by the parent company.
When its time for the tough decision of what show to end or shorten,the call is easier when you don't own one of the choices-no matter its superiority over the homegrown option.
As with most other things,it often comes down to the dollar.

All things considered,Person of Interest is,in my opinion,the best network (non-cable)drama that I've seen in years and despite an occasional hiccup continues to develop in layers of writing and acting that are seldom seen in network television.
I'm generally a person that figures that decisions are generally final in television and squawking about it isn't going to change any minds.
In this case,I'm making an exception-Person of Interest is worth the fight.
If you are on Twitter,consider a tag of CBS with an hashtag of #PersonofInterest and #13isnotenough.
The 30 seconds that it would take would be appreciated by me and the loyal fans of a show that that has so much more to say and tell.....

No comments: