Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Dog Days (or High School) are over

I admit it-I use Facebook.
More than I should and we even have a small page for the blog there, but it can be fun.

At the same time, it is borderline creepy at times.
The main offense?-Wanting to return to High School again.
2011 is the year of my 25th anniversary of leaving the school system and for the fifth time, I think I'll pass on renewing old acquaintances.
I say acquaintances because if they were friends, I would have renewed them already.
Besides, if I truly wanted to reunite (and it doesn't feel so good, thanks Peaches and Herb), Facebook allows more than enough opportunities to do just that.
There are a few people that I have "friended" from, school, but none from my graduating class other than my wife, and I cannot really say that my life has suffered much.

So many people just cannot grow enough to expand beyond that base that was formed by an arbitrary geographic base from their youth.
I can see the case for some that really did reach their peak in life in high school-the athlete that was good enough there but had no hopes of playing college sports, the person in the school play that really wasn't that talented, or the solo singer that was not headed for Broadway or a recording career.
Those people didn't have the skill to move on in something they love and I can see the nostalgia for them, but what about the average person that just seems to live for this stuff?

What can really be meaningful about seeing a person 25 or 30 years after sitting behind them in English that you didn't really know then and haven't seen since?
I am sure that some of my feelings are that I never enjoyed the school experience for the most part, but isn't it somewhat odd to be growing older being parents and some now grandparents and still living for taking Biology at the age of 14?
I can understand the nostalgia for college years as you are adults with adult memories, but high school?

I couldn't stand the school system, most of the instructors, and even more of my colleagues.
I refer often to the fact that my middle school years (grades 6,7 and 8) were the worst three years of my life.I didn't like them then and I doubt I would like them now.
Maybe it is because with the exception of meeting my wife, I had few memories worth keeping from the public school system or maybe it is as simple as I don't like group settings, but I cannot imagine something that I would enjoy less than a school reunion.
I have a great life and for me-the Dog Days are truly over (Excuse for a Florence and the Machine video).


To each our own and we all have our hobbies and silly things that we enjoy (hell, I am writing this, aren't I?), so go, have fun and enjoy!
But in the end, I'll think I'll look at this in a similar vein to William Shatner...

No comments: