The New Jersey Devils might have played their best game of the season all around and despite losing Martin Brodeur midway through the game,managed to defeat the Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackawks 5-3 in Chicago.
The Devils finish the road trip at 2-4,which stinks,but is a whole lot better than 1-5.
Devils goals to Jason Arnott (4),Travis Zajac (2),Andy Greene (2 empty net),Jamie Langenbrunner (2 empty net) and Brad Mills (1).
New Jersey gets two days off before the Rangers hit the Rock Friday night.
1) Martin Brodeur was working on a shutout before a Patrick Kane shot hit his right elbow and deadened it.
Brodeur attempted to play on and made one save before leaving the game in favor of Johan Hedberg.
X-rays were negative and it will be a Friday decision on whether Brodeur will start against the Rangers...
2) Johan Hedberg played pretty well in relief of Brodeur despite allowing three goals.
Hedberg allowed one with Chicago having an extra skater out late and the other two were redirections and rebounds.Nice job pulling this one out by the backup.
3) The Devils first goal was a sharp one too with a pretty pass from the corner of the net by Patrik Elias to the waiting Jason Arnott.
It was the type of the pass that recently would have seen Arnott stoned by the goalie,but this time all was smooth sailing.
Arnott's goal was his fourth and that leads the team much to my surprise.
Didn't seem like he had that many.
4) The play of the game goes to Brad Mills,who scored his first career goal by mucking around the net and digging a rebound of his own shot off Marty Turco for the lead later in the third period.
Mills showed tons of energy in this one and John MacLean noticed as Mills received plenty of ice time.Always nice to see the journeyman minor leaguer come to the big leagues and play well..
5) The defensive play of the night goes to Johan Hedberg for stopping Jack Skille on a breakaway that looked to be a sure goal with the old fashioned stacking of the pads.
6) This was a great win considering the play of late,being on the road and the competition level,but can they build on it?
The team still is understaffed although Anton Volchenkov is expected to return against the Rangers on Friday and that alone will be a huge help to the young and depth lacking defense.
Division rival,first game at home and a win gives (gasp) back to back wins.
There is something on the line.
Photo Credit-Getty Images..