Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Down to the wire,but Cleveland holds off Jacksonville

Normally,I would have waited on this until tomorrow,but the Devils total collapse tonight in Florida makes me want to write about something pleasant,so the Devils will have to wait until tomorrow...

The Browns tried to give the Jacksonville Jaguars a victory,allowing them to drive to the two yard line with seconds remaining,but Jacksonville receiver Jason Hill dropped what would have been the game winning TD on the next to last play of the game and Blaine Gabbart failed to see a wide open Maurice Jones-Drew,who would have walked into the end zone on the final play enabling the Browns to hold onto a 14-10 win.
Colt McCoy threw for 199 yards with one touchdown and interception,while Chris Ogbonnaya rushed for the other Cleveland score and finished with 115 yards on the day.
Cleveland improved to 4-6 with the win and will travel to Cincinnati next Sunday where the Bengals are waiting...

Brownie Bits

1) The numbers were not great,but Colt McCoy continues to impress me with his toughness.
McCoy injured his shoulder and neck on the tackling of Dawan Landry on McCoy's only interception of the game,but the Longhorn did not miss a play.
One can question many things about McCoy,but his toughness cannot be one of them...

2) The 85 yard drive that proved to be the winning score was the best Browns drive of the season in my opinion.
McCoy made several big completions and scrambled for a first down once as well as he showed that the Browns can,on occasion,drive the ball downfield...

3) I thought the Phil Dawson missed field goal in the fourth quarter could have gone either way,but I lean towards it being good.
What I found laughable was the fact that replay could not review it.
Replay is supposed to fix things,but rarely does,therefore why even bother?
I will say this-I have been watching Phil Dawson since 1999 and I have NEVER seen him that angry!

4) Super game by Chris Ogbonnaya,who left the game after his longest run of the game and looked to be grabbing a hamstring that forced him to pull up out of bounds.
However,he was soon back in the game and running hard with his second 90+ yard game in a row.
I still think that Ogbonnaya is running up these numbers with huge carry days and against bad teams,but I'll take performance anytime over opinion.
The Bengals defense will be a huge test for Ogbonnaya next week,although Montario Hardesty is a possibility to return to the field for that game.

5) The longest play of the game was a 51 yard catch and run from McCoy to Jordan Norwood,who then disappeared from the game.
Norwood has looked decent in limited action and I wish he would see the field a bit more in the coming weeks.

6) Good games from the rookies on the defensive line as Phil Taylor was the defensive force of the game and Jabaal Sheard had a sack and forced fumble.Sheard was pressuring Blaine Gabbert all day,while Taylor was the main reason that Maurice Jones-Drew finished with only 87 yards on the day and might have been the reason Jacksonville threw two passes at the end of the game instead of putting the ball in the hands of their best player....

7) If I was a Jaguar fan,I would be disenchanted with Jack Del Rio.
The poor clock management put the cats in the spot of feeling that they could not chance a run play late in the game.
That goes almost all on the coach and Del Rio will likely be looking for a job at the end of the season.

8) I thought Maurice Jones-Drew's celebration mocking the loss of LeBron James was very classless.
Changed my opinion of MJD at least...

9) I know Jacksonville spent a first round pick (and traded up to do so) on Blaine Gabbert,but I did not see much to be impressed with.
It is only one game,but from what I saw-I'll take Colt McCoy....

10) This was almost a must win for the Browns,who look to be underdogs in every game from here on out.
The Browns wins have come over winless Indianapolis,.three win Miami and Jacksonville and four win Seattle.
Only 3-7 Arizona has a losing record of the remaining six games and that game will be in the desert.
I think Cleveland will win one game that they shouldn't and cost themselves about two spots in the first round for doing it for a final record of 5-11....

Photo Credits
Hill's Drop-AP Photo
Ogbonnaya and Sheard- Matt Sullivan Getty Images

No comments: