Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Finally,A Devils win in Hershey!

I made my fifth ever trip to the Giant Center to see the Albany Devils last Saturday against the Hershey Bears.
I was 0-4 going to see the team,which had changed from the Albany River Rats to the Lowell Devils and settling in as the now Albany Devils.
I had a higher hope for a Devils win this time as the Bears seemed to be hit with the injury bug and the teams were similar in their season points thus far.
I was not too excited though as the Giant Center is a tough arena to win in and Hershey,as usual,had a team loaded with veteran players that are far past the prospect stage,but are extremely effective at the American Hockey League level.

The game started and Hershey quickly raced to a 2-0 lead and I was thinking "Here we go again",another drive up for a blowout loss.
This night would be different though as the Devils battled back to tie the game at 2 going into the locker room with goals from Nathan Perkovich (3) and Darcy Zajac (3),the brother of Devils center Travis.
A early second period goal from defenseman Eric Gelinas (3) on the power play gave Albany a lead,although Hershey would tie the game at three at the second intermission.
The teams would swap goals in the third with the A-Devils scoring goals by former NHLer Steve Bernier (3) and Tim Sestito (2) and the overtime was scoreless.
That meant my first ever live shootout!
Now,I find the shootout very entertaining and fun to watch,but I am not a fan of it deciding games.

Hershey scored with their shooter Jacob McFliker and Chad Wiseman missed for the Devils,which made me think of another Devils defeat.
I was too pessimistic as Albany goalie Keith Kincaid stopped the next three Bears and Albany used goals from Mike Sislo,Matt Anderson and Steve Bernier to win the game and send me into a frenzy.
I was sorely tempted to loudly do the stupid "B E A R S" chant that the Hershey fans do with each goal,but I kept to myself.
Well,I did allow myself a small,shortened,quieter version through the concourse,but not too bad..

It was not the best game as far as strong play goes,as the defense for both teams was less than wonderful and Keith Kincaid switched from making a dazzling save to being beaten from the left  faceoff circle location twice and near there a third,but an exciting game it was.
Kincaid finished the night with 28 saves and showed promise at times,although he clearly needs another year in the AHL.
The Devils are not loaded with prospects at forward other than maybe Mike Sislo (Mike Hoeffel was not in Hershey),but they have three solid prospects on the blueline in Alexander Urbom,Eric Gelinas and Brandon Burlon.
Urbom seemed to shy away from contact a bit and that might need to be addressed,but the skills are there to be sure.
Burlon looks to be an all around defenseman,but the star of the night to me,scouting wise was Eric Gelinas,who has a huge upside as an offensive blueliner.
Excellent shot and size,Gelinas still needs time to ripen on the vine a bit,but I was impressed on this night.
Matt Taormina showed me that he is an NHL player in the AHL with his puck moving skills.
Just a matter of time before Taormina gets another chance after injury robbed him of last season in New Jersey after playing well up to that date.

As far as autographing goes,many of the Devils do not have cards as Albany does not make a team set (Boo!),but I was able to get all the stuff that I had for the players that were there (Jay Leach and Stephen Gionta did not make the trip).

Assistant coach Tommy Albelin was a member of a Cup winning Devils team and was a great addition as the rest consisting of former Vancouver Canuck Steve Bernier on a jersey card,Alexander Urbom,Matt Taormina,Eric Gelinas,Vladimir Zharkov and Jeff Frazee.
Thanks to my friend Mark Bailey for showing me the ropes graphing hockey and his tremendous help with the parent Devils (More on that in a future signing front) and the "Superfan" for his help and trading me some more cards for the collection.
I had a great time with them and hope to do it again next season.
Albany returns to the Giant Center in March and if time permits,I'll either do them or the St.Johns team that makes their only trip to Hershey in March as a affiliate of the Winnipeg Jets.....

No comments: