Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Hitting the Hitman in Bowie!

With the Pirates off yesterday,I have a little bit of time to write about taking the family and Battlin' Bob to Bowie for the appearance of wrestling legend Bret "The Hitman" Hart.

Considering that I am not a huge fan of driving on the Beltway,I usually do not hit the BaySox very often.
I really do not have the need when you consider that they play in the AA Eastern League with Altoona and Harrisburg,which are of similar distances,yet easier drives.

I usually check wrestlers appearances of the local teams over the winter to see who the lovely Cherie and Rachel would be interested in meeting,especially after their excitement over Jerry "the king" Lawler's visit to Frederick last season.
They were very disappointed in this year's Frederick grappler selection of "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan to the point of no interest.
So,when I read of Bowie getting Bret Hart,I figured that they would go crazy and sure enough,they did just that!
The lovely one is not always wild about away trips in the car,but I figured for this one,she would manage to tough it out and she did so splendidly.

The trip down was longer,mainly because even though I had been to Bowie twice before,I had never driven there.
The Battler' kindly offered his GPS app on his phone,using something called "Waze".
Well,Waze had us 20+ miles past Bowie,into a residential neighborhood that we could literally touch the Chesapeake Bay from!
Seriously,you hear these storied about GPS' taking you into the water and after this,I not only take their word for it-I have seen it for myself!
I asked a nearby jogger for help and she helpfully told us how far we were "Awaze" from the field,pointed us in the right direction and Bob used Google navigator thereafter.
A little extra gas and a little extra time,but we cruised right in after that.

We got into the parking lot a bit early and was able to hook up with quite a few of my friends from the area such as Tom O'Brien,who is such a huge help in Bowie for me,Mark Bailey,my Devils connection,Mike Belous and of course-the noted "Superfan",who traded about fifty cards with me in the parking lot.
Thanks also to Tom for his help in getting a Tennessee mini-helmet signed by former UT star Heath Shuler!

After waiting in line to get in,(at Bowie season ticket holder can get in an hour early) we were reasonably close to the front of the line for Bret.
It took maybe a half hour or less to work our way to the front with Cherie and Rachel going first.

They were both so excited to meet Bret and I was so happy for them and to have a small part in their happiness.
Cherie was able to get a Hitman figure signed (See on the table in front of Bret),while Rachel had her artwork (She is a brilliant artist) of Bret and Jerry Lawler signed.
I am sure that she never dreamed that when she did that drawing that both men would sign that picture in person!
Bret asked Rachel if she drew the picture and if that was actually Lawler's signature at the bottom.
I exchanged small talk quickly with Bret,had him sign a picture and snapped the above pic of me with the Hitman.
Battlin' Bob did the same and then a family behind us had nothing for him to sign.
I had brought two baseballs,so I offered them a deal-get each ball signed,they keep one and I get one.
Worked out well for both of us as Bowie kept the interaction quick-1 item and 1 picture,which is a good thing as it kept the line moving and allowed more fans to meet Bret,who did a three city in three night tour with Richmond Va. being the night before and Wilmington Delaware the night after Bowie.

I was able to have a few minutes to work on the Portland Sea Dogs.
I did not get a ton in those few minutes,but did get Bryce Brentz,who is hitting very well at AA and Kolbrin Vitek,who was injured but signed anyway.
We watched about five innings and then started home,which was a easy shot compared to the way down and the big day was complete after a stop at Wendy's,where I tried the new Wendy's burgers for the first time....

Thanks to all for a memorable day and I had a blast for both me and my beloved girls....

In today's mailbox-two returns-Former Eagles safety Bill Bradley and golfer David Peoples....

Photo Credits
Cherie and Rachel Heimberger




No comments: