Saturday, June 19, 2010

Tale of three games


The battle for the unofficial thoughts of RS title began last night at PNC Park as the last place Pittsburgh Pirates hosted the last place Cleveland Indians in what was really three separate games within a game.
The first six innings were scoreless as both Paul Maholm and Fausto Carmona traded zeroes.
The seventh saw both teams explode for all the runs in the game and then the final two were lacking in runs.
Cleveland's inning was a hair better and the Wahoos grabbed a 4-3 win.
Carmona improved to 6-5,while Maholm dropped to 4-5 for Pittsburgh.
Kerry Wood pitched a scoreless ninth in earning his 5th save.
The series continues tonight with the Pirates tossing Jeff Karstens (1-2) to the mound in the latest attempt to snap a losing streak that has now reached 12,while the Indians counter with David Huff (2-8).

Unified Thoughts

1) Look for more runs tonight than last night.
Maholm and Carmona are their teams most experienced presence in the rotation and it wasn't a huge surprise to them succeed against the lineups.
Considering the starters tonight,I think the game could be a barnburner...

2) One has to be impressed with Carlos Santana,who had two hits and two walks,but I was most impressed with his arm in gunning down Neil Walker at second in a steal attempt.
The ball was there so early that Jason Donald merely had to set the glove down and let Walker slide into it.....

3) Another Indian that I was impressed with was setup man Chris Perez.
I liked the way the ball comes out of his hand and Perez looks to be the Tribe closer of the future...

4) Ryan Church's three RBI double was right after I called for his release when Steve Pearce is ready to return.
I wish it was that easy for all of my writing to motivate!
Seriously though,I do question John Russell batting Church in the 5 slot,considering his season and no,I don't agree with Russell's thought "that might get him going".

5) Was nice to see Frank Herrmann get some game action.
Frank was one of the nicer guys in the game that I have met from his days in both Lake County and Kinston and it is nice to see him get a chance in the show.

6) Watching the game,I was struck by the loud cheers for the Indians.
The Indians are the worst drawing team in the AL,yet they seemed to be louder than the home team.
Odd.

I haven't forgotten about some upcoming pieces that were promised,I am working on them and hope to be ready next week.

Photo Credit-Gene Puskar-AP Photo

No comments: