Thursday, April 9, 2015

Cleaning out the inbox

Time to clean the filling inbox again and we start with a convergence of two topics that the lovely Cherie enjoys with the paintings of the late Bob Ross with Metro the painting race horse.
Metro,a retired race horse "paints" and I'm sure most of you know Ross the painter of generic trees on PBS.
I know,I know,I don't appreciate art-it's a flaw of mine,but this is still a neat story.....

Cherie sends me two more notes,one of which is a unlikely source for this dubious author.
Guideposts discusses the decision of Kim Campbell (wife of Glen) to discontinue the home care of the singer,who is suffering from Alzheimer's.
It has to be so tough and I'm hoping that type of call is one that I never have to make...

The other is a more conventional choice from Birds and Blooms as they write about everyday foods
that birds love.
It's much easier (and cheaper) way to attract birds than conventional wild bird food and something for you readers to consider...

My friend Joe Plum has reappeared on Facebook and posts some interesting things for the inbox that I am sure will begin to appear more and more in the inbox.
Joe starts with the Burmese Python story from the New York Times of how this beast is rampaging through (and destroying) the Florida eco-system,which is a story that I'm always interested in.
I've begun to do a little research on this topic (of various invaders,not just the python) and tip-toeing into trying to bring a guest to the podcast to discuss this in the future....

You wouldn't think that goldfish would be invasive,but the common little goldfish proves that any species out of its native zone has such potential with the takeover of a Colorado lake.
Colorado officials estimate that a few goldfish released into this lake have mushroomed into thousands and are slowly choking off the native fish.
I know people in this situation are not acting in malice,but in order not to feel bad about killing a few fish,they are responsible for killing many more....

Two passings of character actors as Geoffrey Lewis and James Best each passed away this week.
Lewis,the 79 year old father of actress Juliet Lewis,appeared in many westerns,but was most noted for his friendship with Clint Eastwood and resulting supporting roles.
Most notable to me was his role as "Orville" in the Every which way but loose films and as a police captain in TRS favorite Tango and Cash.
Best,who passed at 88 was most noted as his role of Sheriff Rosco P.Coltrane on the Dukes of Hazzard,but was first remembered by me as "Jim Lindsay" the guitar picker that wanted to leave Mayberry on the Andy Griffith Show and also in a guest shot on Have Gun Will Travel.
I saw Best in an appearance at an Altoona Curve game,where he did the entire Rosco schtick complete with a car chase around the field,dog in the car and the big bump after getting out of the vehicle.
Seemed like a very nice man....

Back soon with more....

No comments: